May 27, 2014
For Instructional Assistants for Special Education Classified Job Application ONLY, please click here.
NOTE: Instructional Assistants for Special Education applicants must use new electronic application noted above and not Classified Job Application below. IMPORTANT: Please select Classified/Support and Paraprofessional Application when applying on the online Searchsoft site noted above.
Education, Experience & Training:
- Minimum of a BA or equivalent.
- Prior job-related experience, paid or volunteer, with pre-school to school age students.
- Experience working with students with learning and/or intellectual disabilities and/or equivalent experience.
- Satisfactory work history.
- Successful experience demonstrating tact, courtesy, positive attitude and maintaining cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
To assist a certificated teacher(s) and school based therapist in the instruction and supervision of special education students by assisting with instructional support and child care activities and prescribed specialized one-to-one and/or small group services. Employees in this classification receive direct to general supervision from a certificated teacher(s). Where appropriate, employees in this classification will receive training and indirect supervision by District Behaviorist or District BCBA and become familiar with behavior management procedures and data collection. This job class provides responsible support and follow-through activities as specified in the student’s Individual Educational Plan (I.E.P.). The work location for this position may take place at multiple school sites during the course of the year.
Specific Duties Include:
- Assist the teacher with the development and presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises;
- Support students individually or in small groups to reinforce and follow up learning activity;
- Assist in the management and shaping of student behavior through the use of positive reinforcement strategies;
- Auditory and visual monitoring of students both inside the classroom and during outside activities;
- May perform clerical duties such as filing or duplicating materials;
- Maintain student discipline in the absence of the teacher;
- Assist in maintaining a neat, orderly, and attractive learning environment;
- Perform all related duties as assigned; and
- Collaborate with support staff to model and implement effective behavioral support strategies.
Essential Skills Include the Ability to:
- Understand the behavior needs of assigned children and to effectively relate to these needs in a learning and/or recreational situation;
- Understand the behavior needs of students with an emotional disturbance and effectively implement individual behavior plans;
- Learn the physical requirements and/or specific needs assigned special education students;
- Understand and carry out both oral and written instructions in an independent manner;
- Maintain confidentiality of student records;
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action;
- Maintain calm and patience in stressful situations;
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties; and
- Meet physical characteristics in compliance with American Disabilities Act (ADA).
This Position Requires Thorough Knowledge of:
- Methods to successfully complete necessary behavior management, and safety training;
- General needs and behaviors of children.
- Familiar with Behavior support plans, data collection, create and maintain ABA binders.
- Proper English usage and grammar;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Modify curriculum to meet individual needs of each child; and
- Computer and software applications appropriate to assignment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. Lifting 30 lbs. maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.