To attend the Palo Alto Unified School District, a student must be:
- at least five (5) years of age on or before December 2nd
of that academic calendar year*,
- reside on a full-time permanent basis (seven days and seven nights) within the boundaries of the District.
*For the 2012 - 2013 school year registered students born on or after November 1 but before December 2, 2007 will be placed in Transitional Kindergarten classes.
*For the 2013- 2014 school year registered students born between October 2, 2008 - December 2, 2008 will be placed in Transitional Kindergarten classes.
Students that are 5 on or before October 1, 2013 (born in 2008) will be placed in Kindergarten.
Students that are 6 on or before October 1, 2013 (born in 2007) will be placed in First Grade.
If the student meets these requirements, the parent/guardian may register the student.
All registrations must be submitted/processed at the Central Attendance Office, 25 Churchill Ave., Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 p.m. Before visiting our offices please review the Registration Process.
Further assistance with: School Placement (Due to continued high enrollment. PAUSD cannot guarantee placement in the neighborhood school.), Finding Your Neighborhood School, and Transfers.
If you have questions contact us at email@example.com or 650-329-3707.
Priority 1 Period is January 16, 2013 through February 14, 2013
The following ORIGINAL documents MUST be provided to the Central Attendance Office
prior to beginning the on-line registration process.
Current Property Tax Statement indicating a Homeowner’s Exemption
- Registration form/Formulario de inscripción
- Residency Declaration Form/Declaracion de Domicilio
- Child's Birth Certificate or Passport
- Parent’s Government Issued Photo ID
- Immunization Records (Immunizations Do Not need to be complete to register your child. Immunizations must be complete and verified prior to the start of school.)
Current Lease Agreement with Manager/Landlord’s contact information AND if lease has expired and is now month-to-month, letter from the manager/landlord indicating the parents are current residents.
City of Palo Alto or PG&E utility bills – Three Most Recent Months
Current DMV Vehicle Registration
For High School Students Only: Translated Transcript
After the required documents are processed you will receive a(n):
In order to expedite the online registration process, you may want to have easy access to the following requested information:
- 9-digit zip code, which is required by the State of California. If you do not know your 9-digit zip code, please refer to http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp;
- 3 local emergency contacts - home phone and address;
- 1 out-of-state emergency contact - home phone and address (please do not list an out-of-country contact);
- Child's physician/practitioner - name and phone number and Health Insurance Provider - If Applicable.
If you need assistance completing your Online Registration, you can contact Infinite Campus Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or come to one of two drop-in assistance sessions at the PAUSD District Office at 25 Churchill Avenue.
The sessions will be:
Tuesday, February 12th, 11am – 1pm
Tuesday, February 12th, 5:30 - 7:30pm
Computers will be available for your use, if you'd simply like to complete the process where there is someone to answer questions. There will also be help with setting up accounts and troubleshooting any other problem you might have. Spanish language translators will also be available.
Revised February 2013
Schedule Registration Appointment
Appointments are recommended, but not required.
Questions regarding Infinite Campus
Report a possible residency violation
Elementary | Secondary
Priority 1 Status:
- Registration must be submitted online between January 16 and February 14, 2013.
Priority 2 Status:
- Registrations completed after February 14, 2013 are date and time stamped based upon online submission date.
Kindergarten Information Meetings:
- January 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM at Walter Hays Elementary in the MP Room
- February 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM at Palo Verde Elementary in the MP Room
- Spanish Speaker’s Meeting - January 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM at
El Carmelo Elementary in the MP Room (Childcare will be provided)
- All neighborhood schools will have Kindergarten visitation day on
February 8, 2013. Please check with your neighborhood school for
time and location.
Transitional Kindergarten Information Meeting:
Choice School/Program Information Meetings
February 8, 2013 at 9:30, Greendell School – Orientation and Visitation
- Hoover Elementary
Open House/Information Meeting -- January 30, 2013, 8:00 to 10:00 AM
- Ohlone Elementary
- Information Meeting – January 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM
- Visitation Dates: Tuesday and Thursday by Appointment Only
- Mandarin Immersion (at Ohlone)
- Information Meeting – January 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Ohlone Library
- Spanish Immersion (at Escondido)
- Information Meetings – February 7, 2013, 7:00 to 8:45 PM
- Meeting in English held in Escondido Library
- Meeting in Spanish held in Room 13.
- 1-Hour Tours -- February 13 & February 22, 2013, 9:00 AM
Voluntary Transfer Program Orientation and Registration
- Young Fives (Greendell)
- Tours – Months of January and February, 2013 (By Appointment)
- Screening – February 15, 2013
Elementary Choice School/Programs Lottery
- Orientation: January 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM, 25 Churchill Ave.
- Registration Begins: January 22 – February 22, 2013
- Elementary School Placement Meeting: March 27, 2013 at
5:30 PM, District Office – SDC Room
- February 22, 2013 - Lottery Cards Due
- March 8, 2013 – Lottery
- March 15, 2012 – Choice Program Parent Acceptance Deadline
First Day of School
August 15, 2013
Middle School General Information Meetings
- February 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM at Each Middle School
Middle School Visits – Fifth Grade Only
- May 9, 2013 from 10:30 AM to 12:00 Noon
Middle School Choice Program Information Meetings
- Jordan – Spanish Immersion – March 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM
- Terman – Direct Instruction – March 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
- JLS – Connections – March 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Middle School Choice Program Applications Due
Middle School Choice Program Notification
High School Information Meetings
- Gunn High School - Incoming 9th Grade Information Nights
- Gunn Parent Information Night for All Middle Schools
- Academic Advising Night for Incoming New Students
- Tuesday, February 5, 2013 from 6:30 to 9:00 PM in Spangenberg Theatre
- Palo Alto High School - Incoming 9th Grade Information Nights
- Palo Alto High School Open House (9th – 12th welcome) Wednesday, January 30, 2013 from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in Theatre
- 9th Grade Parent Workshops – Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM in Paly ERC
First Day of School
August 15, 2013