Students who attend school in Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) must reside within its boundaries on a full-time permanent basis, that is, seven days and seven nights. If you are registering your child with us for the first time, or have changed your residence since registering, you will need to verify that your child still resides within the PAUSD boundaries and you must provide new proof of residence to Central Attendance as indicated below.
If you move to a different school area after initial registration, your date of registration will change. If you move within the same school attendance area, your date of registration will remain the same.
At the time of registration, you must present ONE document from EACH category below. ORIGINAL documentation is required and copies are not accepted. Utility (PG&E, water, etc), or telephone bills are NOT VALID residency verification documents.
Post Office boxes do not meet residency requirements. Only street addresses are accepted. (see
full registration requirements).
ONE of the following ORIGINAL
Picture ID from the following list:
- Current California State Driver’s License; or
- Current California State ID Card; or
- Valid Passport or Consulate Issued Picture ID.
2. ONE of the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS with the parent/guardian's name and address:
- Property Tax Bill with parent/guardian’s name and property address, indicating homeowner’s exemption;
- Current Lease Agreement with Manager/Landlord’s contact information. If lease has expired and is now month-to-month, letter from the manager/landlord indicating the parents are current residents.
3. ONE of the following ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS with the parent/guardian's name and address:
- Palo Alto or PG&E – Three Most Recent Months OR
- Current DMV Vehicle Registration
If, at any time, a student’s residence is in question, PAUSD will investigate. The District may ask for additional documents for verification. If a student is not living within the PAUSD boundaries full time, or if a student’s living arrangements do not agree with statements provided by a parent or legal guardian, the student will be excluded from attending schools in the Palo Alto Unified School District.