Mobile/Tablet Menu

Desktop Menu

Search Container

Arts and Music Funding (Proposition 28)

On November 8, 2022, California voters approved Proposition 28: The Arts and Music in Schools (AMS) Funding Guarantee and Accountability Act. The measure required the state to establish a new, ongoing program supporting arts instruction in schools beginning in the 2023–24 school year.

Under this measure, local educational agencies (LEAs) with 500 or more students must ensure that at least 80% of AMS funds are used to employ certificated or classified staff to provide arts education. The remaining 20% of funds can be allocated to training, supplies, materials, and arts partnership programs, with a maximum of 1 percent allowed for administrative expenses.

PAUSD has robust K-12 Arts Programs. In the year 2023-24, Proposition 28 funds were used to add additional arts programming staff in areas that did not already exist using the 80% allocation. No funds were spent on supplies in 2023-24, as guidelines for spending the 20% allocation were still being updated. 

In elementary schools, initiatives included the introduction of a new Learning Center Music Program, providing an additional tailored music class to students in PAUSD Extensive Support Needs Classrooms. Proposition 28 also funded eight additional Spectra Art Classes for all K-5 students. Additionally, there was a 50% elementary strings teacher added to accommodate student interest. At the secondary level, additional sections of arts classes were introduced where student interest necessitated an additional section.

As a requirement for using Proposition 28 funds, a report containing the following information will be published on the PAUSD website after Board approval: the number of full-time equivalent teachers, classified personnel, and teaching aides; the number of students served; and the number of school sites providing arts education programs funded by AMS. The following AMS funding report is presented to the Board for discussion.

Proposition 28: Arts and Music in Schools Funding Report for the 2023-24 School Year

No. of full-time equivalent Certificated Teachers

1.9 FTE

No. of full-time equivalent Classified Staff

0.0731 FTE

No. of full-time equivalent Instructional Aides

1.33 FTE

No. of students served


No. of school sites providing Arts Education with Proposition 28 

16 schools (PK Learning Centers, K-8)