Superintendent's Update - October 23, 2020
From the Office of the Superintendent:
The tentative Board of Education agenda can be found HERE.
CURRENT SECONDARY SCHOOL REOPENING TIMELINE
- Oct 19 - Planning day with all secondary principals Preliminary survey sent to all secondary students and families
- Oct 21 - PTAC meeting
- Oct 22 - Visitation of secondary schools already open for in-person instruction
- Oct 26 - Superintendent with secondary school PTA Presidents
- Oct 27 - Secondary teachers survey
- Oct 29 - Second survey to students and families
- Nov 2 - Secondary principals planning meeting
- Nov 10 - Regular Board of Education meeting
- Nov 11 - Secondary instructional model window opens for families
- Dec 14 - Students receive schedules
- January - Students begin return to school prioritizing grades 6 and 12
The calendar does not reflect site communication and outreach efforts. The timeline also does not reflect meetings and work done internally with Instructional Leads and individual teachers. Informational webinars with site staff will occur prior to November 11.
SECONDARY REOPENING PRELIMINARY RESULTS
We appreciate the 5,493 responses to our recent survey, including 1,748 from our students. Roughly 2/3 of respondents are interested in some form of live streaming, although we did receive requests for more information and clarification of terms. About half of our respondents indicated they need more information. When pressed for a non-binding response, roughly 60% indicated a desire to return to some form of in-person instruction. The complete survey and results can be found HERE. Use the tabs at the top to navigate.
ONLINE LEARNING NEWSLETTER
New this school year is an Online Learning Newsletter to provide teachers with updates and implementation directions for different online technologies and tools as well as various pedagogical tips to support online learning. Additionally, the team has made a website titled "Online Learning Support for Teachers," which serves as a database for information on using various tools such as Kami, Edpuzzle, Schoology, Seesaw, and more. For more information or suggestions for future topics to add, please contact Emily Garrison or Blanca Herrera.
700 2-3 STUDENTS RETURN ON MONDAY
Another 700 students will return to in-person instruction on Monday. Classrooms have all been certified and are ready for action. By the week of November 9, PAUSD will have over 2,000 students participating in hybrid programs. Santa Clara County is in the Orange tier for reopening and has continued to ease restrictions. Current data can be found HERE. Additionally, PAUSD tested roughly 300 employees on Wednesday through Stanford Health Care.