The Family Engagement Specialist serves as the link between the school, parents, and community. They will develop and foster community collaborations, as well as provide referrals to community-based services for families. Also, they will expand opportunities to families for continued learning, voluntary community service, and civic participation. They will guide parents to understand the educational system so they can become better advocates for their children’s education and empower parents to become decision-makers.
Vision #1: Provide families with the necessary skills and tools to ensure their children achieve their greatest potential in school and in life.
Vision #2: We envision a world where every child enters school ready to succeed because every parent has the knowledge, skills, and resources to support their children’s learning
Vision #3: We want to strengthen families and communities to help prepare themselves and the workforce of the future.
Family Engagement Specialist Contacts
Family Engagement Site Schedule and Contact Information
Under the direction of the Director, Academic Supports, the Family Engagement Specialist works to establish relationships that empower, guide, and support historically underrepresented (HUR) and low income families in PAUSD to become strong advocates for their children’s education, social and emotional well-being. A teacher on special assignment at the district office assists with coordination of bimonthly meetings of all 10 specialists with a focus on professional learning, collaboration, team building and sharing of resources in the community. All 18 sites have a bilingual Family Engagement Specialist that works between 5-12 hours a week. Several specialists cover multiple sites. The program has partnered with the PAUSD Adult School and a host of other community partners such as Dream Catchers in support of families successfully accessing resources.
Goals and Objectives:
- Increase communication and engagement of Historically Underrepresented Students, Tinsley program Students, and English Learner families through oral and written communication by providing regular communication with parents to inform them of school, district, and community events and opportunities
- Increase parent knowledge of school systems
- Increase parent awareness of resources provided by the school district
- Empower students and parents with information on how to successfully navigate PAUSD
- Continue to ensure that parents receive timely communication from the school and the district in preferred languages
- Build positive and trusting relationships with families (eg. interpretation and translation services as appropriate, organize community conversations in partnership with the school principals, home visits)
- Facilitate, coordinate, and promote parent education classes and/or workshops given at the district level (navigating PAUSD website, Schoology, Infinite Campus, Naviance)
- Serve as a liaison between administrators, teachers, school personnel, and parents regarding parent involvement issues
- Increase parent involvement in the school by working closely with the school, parent organizations, and community partners
- Organize school-wide events to increase parental and community involvement
- Assist in the development of a family friendly environment at the school
- Coordinate and attend regular parent meetings and events on topics of key concerns or interests
- Help families understand school report cards, district assessments, and state examinations