On May 5, 2015, voters approved a Measure A Parcel Tax assessment of $758 per parcel with an annual two percent escalation for six years. Parcel Tax funds allow Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) to preserve excellence in academic programs, including science, engineering, math, reading, writing, arts, and music with local funding that cannot be taken by the state; reduce class sizes; attract and retain qualified teachers; and advance health, well-being, and equitable opportunities for every student.


Pursuant to California Code Section 50079 (b)(1), any owner of a parcel used solely for owner-occupied, single-family residential purposes and who are either (a) 65 years of age or older on or on or before June 30 of the fiscal year immediately preceding the year in which the tax would apply, or (b) persons receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for a disability, regardless of age, or (c) receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, regardless of age, may obtain an exemption from the parcel tax by submitting an application therefore, by May 31 of any year, to the District.

Senior citizens or recipients of SSI/SSDI who missed the exemption deadline and have paid their property taxes in full for the current fiscal year may apply for a refund. 

To file for a new exemption from the parcel tax for next fiscal year:

  1. Apply by mail (Parcel Tax Exemption Form) or in person at our Business Services office and bring:
    • For senior citizens:
      • Proof of birth (driver's license, passport, or birth certificate)
      • Proof of residence (driver's license, utility bill, or property tax bill)
    • For individuals receiving Supplemental Security Income or Social Security Disability Insurance:
      • SSI/SSDI Benefits Verification Letter
      • Proof of residence (driver's license, utility bill, or property tax bill)

Palo Alto Unified School District — Business Services 
25 Churchill Avenue 
Palo Alto, CA 94306 
Map to District Office 
Hours: 9 am - 4 pm weekdays

2. Complete your exemption application for next year by May 31 of the current year. 

To apply for a refund for the current fiscal year:

  1. Pay your tax bill in full.
  2. Apply in person at our Business Services office and bring: 
  • Proof of payment (cancelled checks, bank statements, County confirmation or receipts)
  • Proof of birth (drivers license, passport, or birth certificate) or SSI/SSDI verification letter
  • Your tax bill
  • Completed Parcel Tax Refund Form

Note: No refunds will be made for the current fiscal year after June 30.

If you have questions, contact Betty Muñoz at (650) 329-3980 or bmunoz@pausd.org.