The Board of Education of Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) passed a resolution to collect school impact fees on new residential and commercial construction within District boundaries. Fees are used only for construction and reconstruction of school facilities. As of July 21, 1996, the City of Palo Alto withholds building permits until PAUSD has certified that school impact fees have been paid. 

Procedure for Paying the Fee 

When you apply for a building permit, the City of Palo Alto, the County of Santa Clara, or the Town of Los Altos Hills (depending on where you live), will verify the square footage of your proposed project and issue a School Impact Fee Compliance Form.

Take the form to: 

Palo Alto Unified School District — Building D 
25 Churchill Avenue 
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Map to District Office, Building D
Hours: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm weekdays

PAUSD will calculate the amount of your impact fee based on the following: 

Residential development at $3.79 per sq. ft. assessable space 

Residential assessable space is defined as all square footage within the perimeter of a residential structure except for carports, walkways, garages, overhangs, patios, enclosed patios, detached accessory structures, or other coverage. Remodeled residential space with a net increase of less than 500 sq. ft. is exempt from school impact fees. Remodeled space with a net increase of more than 500 sq. ft. is assessed with the entire increase. 

Commercial development at $0.61 per sq. ft. assessable space 

Commercial assessable space is defined as all covered and enclosed space within the perimeter of a commercial structure except for incidental storage areas, garages, parking structures, unenclosed walkways, or utility or disposal areas. Fees are assessed on structures to be used for commercial or industrial purposes, most senior housing, adult-only mobile homes, and hotels and motels.

When we have received your payment, the District will sign the School Impact Fee Compliance Form. Return this form to the appropriate Building Department to receive your building permit. We do not accept credit cards.

If you have questions, contact Thien Le at (650) 329-3938 or

School Impact Fees Annual and Five-Year Report for 2018-19