Salary range: 27
Reports to: Transportation Supervisor
Under supervision, operate a school bus over designated routes to transport school children; related work as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One year of experience as a bus driver
- Current California Special Driver Certificate, valid for driving school buses
- Current DMV approved Medical Certificate
- Current approved First Aid card, if applicable (i.e. restriction 6 on Special Driver Certificate) and CPR
- Have and maintain a driving record that meets Palo Alto Unified School District's insurance requirements.
- Operate a school bus daily over designated routes in accordance with time schedules
- Pick up and discharge school children safely according to transportation rules
- Escort children across street, stopping traffic when necessary
- Transport students and teachers on field trips to various locations, choosing the best route and making departure and arrival time as scheduled
- Service bus with gas and oil and check tires and battery
- Wash bus exterior and clean interior and assist in maintaining bus in safe operating condition
- Maintain good order among students on the bus
- Follow district policies regarding the disciplining of children and contact with parents and other citizens
- Keep record of mileage, fuel and oil, and prepares reports of driving hazards and incident
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Operate a school bus exercising good judgment and extreme caution
- Maintain order among students on a school bus
- Learn a designated bus route, bus stops, and district traffic hazards
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Other duties as assigned
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of safe driving practices;
- Provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code and the Education Code applicable to the operation of vehicles in transporting school children;
- Ability to operate safety equipment, including correct use of fire extinguishers to extinguish or control small fires;
- Knowledge of First Aid principles and application.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell.
The employee must be able to enter and exit a bus to load and assist students, to evacuate a bus in an emergency situation lifting and supporting student weights of a minimum of 70 pounds, to tie down wheelchairs, assist students in wheelchairs on the ramp lift. The employee must frequently operate manual door opener and closer, daily complete safety inspection including opening and closing manual bus windows and frequently lift minimum 30 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts. Work environment includes working directly with children. The employee must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time. The employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, extreme heat, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 10 months
Revision Date: 12/01/2010
Initial date: 03/15/2010
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.