Career and Vocational Education Center Assistant
Salary range: 25
Under general supervision, perform a wide variety of complex and responsible services in the Guidance Department; related work as required.
High School Diploma or equivalent and course work in Career Planning, Social Science or related field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Arrange for individual meetings with students to make Post-High School plan
- Make career presentation using outside resources
- Coordinate with appropriate staff members in recommending schools for specific vocations
- Be an active member of the Student Orientation and Registration Team
- Assist in designing student 4-year plans where appropriate
- Assist students with questions regarding testing and other general issues of the College and Career Center
- Administer Interest Inventories and provide follow-up guidance
- Work effectively with college advisors
- Plan Career Speaker Day
- Plan Community College forum
- Arrange for job-shadowing opportunities
- Perform related clerical work with accuracy and speed
- Deal effectively with students, staff, and public
- Be a liaison with the military
- Analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action
- Carry out verbal and written directions independently
- Participate in Parent Nights.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Understanding of operations, procedures, specific rules, and precedents of the Guidance Department;
- Knowledge of High School Graduation requirements;
- ROP and Vocational Education requirements;
- Office methods, equipment and procedures;
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation;
- Familiarity with Community College system;
- Familiarity with California State University and University of California systems;
- Naviance and other online resources;
- Awareness of Gap Year programs;
- Knowledge of Post-High School options.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and climb or balance.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment; the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 10 months
Revision Date: 03/21/2017
Initial date: 05/21/2008
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.