Salary range: 27
Reports to: Assistant Principal and/or Custodial Supervisor
Positions in this class are distinguished from positions in the lower classification of Custodian I by assignment of: (1) responsibility for the custodial work of a Secondary School Site or District Office where the incumbent is the only custodial worker or where the incumbent exercises routine lead responsibility over one or more custodians; or (2) lead responsibility over assigned Custodial Crew engaged in cleaning and maintenance of a Secondary School Plant.
Under general supervision, participate in the work of keeping a School Plant or other district installation clean and orderly; related work as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One year of experience in custodial work for large or medium size institutions, school experience preferred
- History of satisfactory evaluations
- Successful experience using cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency in large or medium size institutions; secondary school experience preferred
- Successful experience demonstrating tact, courtesy, positive attitude and maintaining cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Confer with the Principal regarding care and cleaning programs at the School facility(ies)
- Monitor subordinates and participate in general custodial operations, ensuring that work is done in accordance with instructions
- See that multipurpose rooms are set up for special events
- Report needed repair work to proper authorities
- Perform minor repairs and adjustments to building fixtures and equipment
- Clean boiler room, offices, teachers' lounge, library, blackboard, drinking fountains, and other assigned areas
- Inspect buildings and grounds for waste, vandalism, and hazardous conditions
- Rearrange television receivers, audiovisual equipment, pianos, and other equipment as necessary
- Assist in the training of inexperienced custodial personnel
- Direct visitors and safeguard District property
- Requisition custodial supplies and equipment
- Empty garbage and trash cans
- Clean playground, parking areas, sidewalks and other outside areas
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Use basic mechanical tools in performing minor repairs and adjustments
- Operate heating and ventilating equipment
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge and understanding of methods, materials and equipment used in custodial work;
- Knowledge of requirements for maintaining school buildings and grounds in a safe, clean and orderly condition;
- Ability to direct the work of others;
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move more than 70 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 12 Months
Revision Date: 04/07/2015
Initial date: 03/01/1975
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.