Data Processing Support/Programming
Salary range: 49
Reports to: Department Head
Under general supervision of the Business Manager, provide help desk services for a medium to large computer network which deals with a variety of problems and questions concerning the software and computers throughout the District; coordinate development and implementation of software applications.
Three or more years of progressively more responsible work experience with significant involvement in the areas of Unix, Informix 4GL and databases.
Minimum of four years college or a Baccalaureate degree with a major in Computer Science, Data Processing, Information Systems, or a closely-related field; or equivalent work experience.
- Coordinate efforts of software vendors and contract programmers regarding enhancements, custom reports and problems
- Perform higher level duties in a training capacity
- Work together as a team with the Systems Administrator in monitoring and maintaining the computer and peripherals to optimize performance
- Analyze and define system requirements and maintain as required
- Oversee and work with contract programmers in all aspects of project development of systems and applied programs, including writing specifications in order to support the requirements
- Prepare lesson plans and maintain procedures for training large and small groups
- Take full charge of specialized application areas, such as Business, Personnel, or Student Applications while maintaining some degree of knowledge about all of these application areas
- Teach District staff how to make the most effective use of the computer system
- Respond to written and verbal user questions, providing appropriate information to users or referring questions to other staff members for appropriate and immediate response
- Take responsibility for learning and applying several programming languages
- Maintain good relationships with the software vendors
- Do programming as required, using the report generators as practicable
- Apply the system utilities whenever necessary and make decisions regarding back-up procedures and other computer-related requirements;
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Understand and make maximum use of a complex network security system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to analyze highly complex data and develop logical solutions;
- Thorough knowledge of HP Unix operating system;
- Ability to write programs in Informix4GL and IQ;
- Use system utilities ISQL,DBACESS, etc., to read, interpret and follow rules, regulations policies and procedures;
- Work independently;
- Meet schedules and timeliness;
- Plan and organize work;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in comprehensive written reports and memos;
- Deal with a large variety of personalities and situations requiring tact, judgment, and poise;
- Establish and maintain effective personal and working relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally required stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment; the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 12 Months
Revision Date: 03/22/2017
Initial date: 12/10/1994
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.