Digital Publishing Operator I
Salary range: 29
Reports to: Print/Mail Supervisor
Under supervision, responsible for operating various advanced computer software programs and transcription equipment to implement the smooth flow of information from various departments and schools; other related duties as required, including assisting in the bindery and mail areas as needed.
- High School Diploma or equivalent; A.A. degree desirable
- Three years of increasingly responsible secretarial and/or word-processing experience
- Satisfactory history of employer evaluations
- Successful experience demonstrating tact, courtesy, and positive attitude, and maintaining cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Apply knowledge of District operations, exercising independent judgment
- Transcribe a variety of documents from machine dictation or handwritten or typed rough draft , including correspondence, technical and statistical reports, manuals, handbooks, directories, minutes, forms, spreadsheets, graphics, tables, certificates, merged letters/labels, presentations, and other materials
- Produce professionally formatted documents for publication, including use of graphics; forms, charts, tables, brochures, etc.
- Proofread and verify own work as well as others' work, as needed
- Make necessary grammatical corrections and supply punctuation to dictated material when needed
- Prepare documents and forms for printing process
- Maintain security of confidential information
- Use simple cut-and-paste and graphic art techniques, both by hand and on-screen, as required
- Interact effectively with co-workers and clients
- May assist in the training of new personnel
- May assist with operation of the Department in Supervisor's absence
- Clerical work involving judgment, accuracy and speed
- Keyboard accurately from clear copy at 65 words per minute
- Create basic web pages and/or convert documents as needed to be added to existing web pages
- Operate transcription equipment
- With appropriate training, may be called upon to provide First Aid or CPR
- Other duties as assigned
- Work effectively and cooperatively with others.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to use handbooks, reference materials, and training videos/manuals effectively;
- Familiarity with secretarial procedures, District organization, and educational terminology;
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation;
- Various word-processing, desktop publishing, spreadsheet, graphics, utilities, and database programs, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office, PageMaker, InDesign, AppleWorks, FileMaker Pro, Netscape, and a working knowledge of Dreamweaver and Fireworks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to use hands to write, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment; the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. Noise level is usually moderate.
Work Year: 12 months
Revision Date: 05/01/1997
Initial date: 09/01/1975
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.