Salary range: 27
Reports to: Principal
Positions in this class are distinguished from positions in the lower classifications of Custodian I or Custodian II as follows: (1) where the incumbent exercises routine lead responsibility over one or more custodians, or (2) in the event of assignment of responsibility for the custodial work of an elementary school where the incumbent is the only custodial worker.
Under general supervision, participate in the work of keeping an Elementary School Plant or other District installation in a safe, clean and orderly condition; related work as required.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
At least one year of experience in custodial work at an Elementary School Site.
- Confer with the Principal regarding care and cleaning programs at the School facility
- Participate in and monitor subordinates in general custodial operations and ensure that work is done in accordance with instructions
- See that multi-purpose room and other areas are set up for special events
- Report needed repair work to proper authorities
- Perform minor repairs and adjustments to building fixtures and equipment
- Clean boiler room, offices, staff lounge, library, blackboards, drinking fountains, and other assigned areas
- Inspect buildings and grounds for waste, vandalism and hazardous conditions
- Rearrange television receivers, audio/video equipment, pianos and other equipment as necessary
- Clean playground, parking areas, sidewalks and other outside areas
- Empty garbage and trash cans
- Assist in the training of inexperienced custodial personnel
- Requisition custodial supplies and equipment
- Direct visitors and safeguard district property
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of methods, materials and equipment used in custodial work;
- Familiarity with requirements for maintaining school buildings and grounds in a safe, clean and orderly condition;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions;
- Basic use of mechanical tools in performing minor repairs and adjustments;
- Operation of heating and ventilating equipment;
- Ability to direct the work of others;
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action;
- Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move 70 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must regularly climb ladders for roof access and climb and balance on ladders at heights for changing light bulbs and other custodial duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 12 Months
Revision Date: 04/07/2015
Initial date: 04/07/2015
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.