Salary range: 42
Reports to: Transportation Supervisor
Under general supervision, head a team of Mechanics in the maintenance and repair of CNG, diesel and gasoline school buses and district vehicular equipment; oversee shop; perform Journey-level Mechanic duties and maintain accurate and correct records of all vehicular maintenance performed; related work as required.
High School Diploma or equivalent and three years of experience as a Journey-level Mechanic, including two years of experience in the repair and maintenance of heavy gasoline, diesel-powered equipment and CNG school buses.
Have and maintain a valid California Class B Commercial Driver's license with passenger and air brake endorsements and a driving record that allows insurability through District's carrier.
- Perform required journey level maintenance and repair of school buses, automobiles, light trucks and heavy trucks
- Assign work on the basis of priorities
- Train new mechanics
- Inspect, diagnose, and make emergency repairs to district vehicles and equipment
- Service vehicles by lubricating and servicing transmissions, CNG, diesel and gasoline engines, automatic and standard transmissions, differentials, clutches, carburetors and starters
- Install special equipment, test equipment, and other specialized tools and equipment
- May do acetylene and electric welding
- Recommend work requiring the replacement of major parts to superiors
- Operate school buses as required
- Maintain required records
- Ensure all school buses pass CHP inspections, and ensure records are current for Annual Terminal inspection
- Facilitate organization and cleanliness of the district corporation yard
- Ensure that garage area, equipment and materials are maintained in a save, clean and orderly manner
- Perform hazardous materials inspections as required
- Ensure disposal the of hazardous materials meets established rules and regulations, and accurate records are maintained
- Responsible for underground storage tanks
- Related duties as assigned.
- Inspect, locate and diagnose mechanical defects and estimate the cost of repairs
- Use skillfully the tools and equipment necessary in the repair and maintenance of heavy-duty automotive equipment
- Perform related work as required
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of tools, materials and equipment used in the maintenance, laws, and regulations governing maintenance adjustment and repair of heavy-duty automotive equipment
- Safe and responsible driving practices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee frequently is required to climb or balance, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee frequently works in outside weather conditions and is frequently exposed to vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Work Year: 12 Months
Revision Date: 11/15/2006
Initial date: 08/01/1979
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.