Salary range: 35
Reports to: Principal
Under the direction of the Certificated School Nurse and under the general supervision of the Assistant Principal, perform a variety of technical duties in support of student health services; administer basic First Aid, dispense medications and screen ill or injured students; serve as a liaison and coordinate communications and information in support of Student Health Services; prepare and maintain student immunization and health information, records, and files.
- LVN/RN or equivalent and two years' health care experience working with children, adolescents, and the public
- Experience handling First Aid situations, emotional issues, and chronic health issues such as diabetes, seizure disorders, etc.
- Valid California LVN / RN certification preferred
- Have and maintain First Aid and CPR Certificate issued by an authorized agency
- Have and maintain valid State of California driver's license
- Satisfactory work history
- Successful experience demonstrating tact, courtesy, positive attitude and maintaining cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Observe health and safety regulations
- Perform a variety of technical duties in support of Student Health Services; screen and assess medical conditions of students; respond to student health issues and problems; notify parents, staff, and health agencies of student injury or emergencies as necessary
- Serve as part of a Medical Team in the event of a disaster occurring on Site, using basic knowledge of Emergency Medical Triage
- Administer First Aid and provide medical care and treatment to students as appropriate; take and record temperatures; perform first aid procedures and CPR in emergency situations as needed; dispense medications according to physician instructions
- Serve as a liaison and coordinate health-services and related communications and information between the District Nurse, students, parents and staff; follow up on health issues to assure student needs are being met
- Prepare, maintain and update a variety of student records, logs, reports and files related to health, emergency information, immunization, medications, health office visits, illnesses, screenings, accidents, health absences, medical issues and assigned activities
- Compile, assemble and verify student health information; prepare, process and assure accuracy and completeness of various health forms and paperwork; contact parents to request additional forms, PE and MD notes, and other documents and information as needed
- Input a variety of student health data and other information into an assigned computer system; maintain automated records and files; generate computerized lists and reports as requested
- Utilize standard health instruments and First Aid supplies and operate a variety of medical equipment such as thermometers, blood pressure units, nebulizers and inhalers
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a copier, fax machine, etc.
- Assist with coordinating and arranging vision, hearing and other screening tests for students as directed
- Assist with various trainings as needed
- Research health information and medical issues as needed
- Prepare and provide medications and related instructions for teachers and staff for field trips
- Maintain the Health Office in a clean, orderly, sanitary and safe condition
- Attend and participate in various meetings as requested; assist in ordering, receiving and maintaining inventory of Health Office and First Aid supplies as required
- Update necessary Emergency Supplies as needed
- Respond effectively and appropriately to emergency situations.
- Meet schedules and time lines
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Operate a computer and assigned software
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of health and safety regulations;
- Health office and related medical practices, terminology, procedures and equipment;
- General diagnostic methods for illnesses, injuries and medical emergencies;
- Proper dispensing and administration of medications;
- General health care practices and procedures;
- Clean and sterile treatment techniques;
- Operation of a computer and assigned software;
- Methods of collecting and organizing data and information;
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment;
- Record-keeping and report preparation techniques;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to implement First Aid and CPR procedures;
- Interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy.
The physical demand described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel object, tools, or controls, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work environment includes working directly with students. The employee must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time.The job entails potential for exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases; and for interaction with disruptive and/or unruly individuals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 10 Months
Revision Date: 05/18/2015
Initial date: 03/01/1993
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.