Salary range: 29
Reports to: Principal
This position is different from an Instructional Aide position in that the staff member has primary responsibility to run an independent center for a school-wide program such as a Math, Literacy or Science Center, etc. and has primary responsibility for developing multi-level curriculum for the school-wide Center.
Under direction of the School Principal, assist with implementation of curriculum in various subject areas; may coordinate specific and specialized instructional programs; related work as required.
- BA/BS degree with emphasis on specific courses in specialized areas
- Two years of satisfactory experience as an instructional aide or in related positions; teaching credential preferred
- Satisfactory work history
- Satisfactory experience demonstrating tact, courtesy, positive attitude and maintaining cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
- Assist the Principal in planning courses of study and specific lesson plans;
- Independently supervise individual students or small groups of students in practice activities such as mathematics, reading, science, computer and/or writing readiness, generally in a school-wide center;
- Coordinate with the appropriate staff members students' daily work in the program and provide instruction;
- Keep records, report attendance, recommend grades and report progress;
- Attend and participate in those meetings deemed advisable by the Principal;
- Assist with the selection of appropriate instructional materials;
- Assist with instructional activities in programs under the direction of the Principal;
- Interact effectively with students;
- Take directions from others while working independently
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with teachers, students and others contacted during the course of this work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A thorough knowledge of instructional materials, curriculum content, and supervising techniques;
- An understanding of availability and use of resources;
- Ability to understand and carry out a specialized instructional program;
- Methods used maintaining discipline and motivating students;
- Ability to deal with a wide variety of personalities and situations requiring tact, judgment and poise.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, turn, talk and hear, and taste and smell. The employee frequently is required to use hands to write, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee must occasionally lift arms above shoulders to point, reach, touch, pull or lift.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work environment includes working directly with young children. Employee will occasionally work at a computer.
Work Year: 10 months
Revision Date: 02/09/2011
Initial date: 03/31/2000
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.