Maintenance Person I
Salary range: 27
Reports to: Maintenance Supervisor
Under direct supervision, assist in performing semi-skilled and skilled maintenance, construction and/or repair work on District buildings, grounds, and equipment; related work as required.
- One year general experience in construction, building equipment and mechanical maintenance or demonstrable equivalency
- Approved courses or equivalent background in one or more of the construction or mechanical trades desirable
- Read, write, and speak at a level sufficient to fulfill the duties to be performed for the position described
- Any combination of training and/or experience that could provide the desired knowledge and abilities
- Have and maintain a valid California Driver's License.
- Assist in performing maintenance work on buildings, grounds and equipment in the District
- May be requested to work independently after given appropriate direction
- Assist with skilled and semi-skilled maintenance tasks in the areas of electrical, plumbing, heating/ventilation systems, painting and carpentry
- Perform heavy manual labor and routine maintenance and cleaning of tools and equipment
- May be required to work on scaffolding
- Related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of basic operations, materials, equipment, tools, and terms used in building and mechanical trades;
- Common safety practices and procedures;
- Ability to acquire skills in work requiring mechanical aptitude;
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor;
- Use hand and power tools related to work performed;
- Follow common safety practices and procedures; follow oral and written instructions;
- Establish cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move more than 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 12 Months
Revision Date: 01/25/2001
Initial date: 01/25/2001
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.