Manager IT Projects/Security
Salary range: Manager I
Reports to: IT Director
Serve as the Security Officer for the District. Ensure security of District infrastructure and applications. Lead District response to security incident. Lead, coordinate, and implement IT infrastructure projects of varying size, complexity and duration. Analyze existing IT systems and tools and designs, develop documents, and implement improved systems and tools. Lead the development and implementation of PAUSD's enterprise architecture and IT Plan of Record. Manage vendor relationships. May manage technicians.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Management of Technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of ten years of progressively more responsible experience participating in and leading technical project teams
- IT infrastructure and application security experience is required
- Technical expertise in a variety of technologies is required including Exchange, Active Directory and Open Directory
- Experience leading IT infrastructure development projects of varying size and complexity is required
- Experience developing and implementing enterprise architectures is preferred
- IT portfolio management experience is preferred.
- Ensure security of internal infrastructure and applications
- Evaluate and monitor security of external applications
- Lead and coordinate District response to security incidents
- Keep up to date with current attack trends and cyber threats while accessing risk and impact to the enterprise
- Conduct active network monitoring, searching for anomalies
- Identify, analyze, and resolve any security threats affecting the enterprise
- Establish information security technical requirements for new technologies and implications to the overall enterprise
- Perform periodic and on-demand security audits and vulnerability assessments
- Communicate cyber alerts affecting PAUSD users
- Prepare incident reports of intrusion, analysis, and remediation
- Analyze existing IT infrastructure solutions, implement, automate (where possible) and document improved/new processes
- Define, track and report project metrics
- Evaluate, design, facilitate and implement new technologies within PAUSD
- Lead the development of the District's IT Plan of Record
- Lead the development of the District's enterprise architecture
- Develop procedures, operating guides and other documentation necessary for the efficient and effective completion of assigned responsibilities
- Define, plan and implement a portfolio of IT projects of varying degrees of complexity and duration
- Implement best practices including contingency planning and risk management
- Lead and influence other District staff members as appropriate to complete projects
- Develop technical specifications for bids and procurement
- Lead and mentor technicians
- Manage project budgets
- Provide backup to other engineers, technicians and project managers as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Develop, establish, and maintain working relationships with management, staff, users, vendors and others.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Experience with security auditing and monitoring;
- Experience responding to security incidents;
- Strong understanding of IT infrastructure including MS Exchange, Open Directory and Active Directory;
- Experience in computer forensics and chain of custody best practices;
- Experience working with a broad variety of computer forensic hardware and software (EnCase, FTK);
- Experience performing host-based digital forensic examinations;
- Experience utilizing Network Sniffers, Process Analysis, and Memory Analysis tools;
- Experience working with network security appliances (IDS, IPS, Firewalls, Proxy, VPN);
- Extensive experience performing log analysis;
- Experience identifying and detecting network and system anomalies;
- Experience in network and client penetration testing;
- Experience performing security analysis on a variety of operating systems (Windows, Linux, OS X);
- Must have the ability to plan, monitor and resource projects;
- Excellent communication skills required;
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills are required;
- The ability to lead and mentor others is required;
- Leadership qualities: Integrity, attention to detail, timeline sensitivity and goal orientation;
- Excellent organization and problem solving skills;
- Able to work flexibly and on own initiative;
- Experience working across multiple IT domains (infrastructure, applications, security) and/or industries is preferred;
- Portfolio management experience is preferred;
- Experience managing an IT Plan of Record or equivalent is desired;
- A working knowledge of enterprise IT architecture is desired.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment; the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Initial date: 05/04/2012
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.
No portion of this job description shall supersede the Master Agreement between the Palo Alto Management Association and the Palo Alto Unified School District and applicable State or federal laws. Any changes in working conditions applicable to the current agreement shall be subject to negotiations at the demand of either party.