Salary range: 30
Reports to: Department Head
Under general direction, assist with the preparation of District Classified payrolls, requiring a high level of skill in spreadsheet use and data base management.
Consistently ethical behavior and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality are essential.
- Equivalent to A.A. degree or higher with emphasis in Business and/or Accounting
- Three years of responsible experience in the maintenance of financial records
- Experience with computerized data entry and accounting systems.
- Responsible for the preparation of regular and variable payrolls for Classified personnel
- Prepare new employee information and enter this data into the payroll system
- Receive, check and extend vouchers on part-time and substitute classified employees
- Recap payroll by various groups and balance against audits received from County Office of Education
- Assist the audit staff in their Annual Review of district payroll books and records
- Answer inquiries from employees regarding pay status
- Prepare various reports and assist Coordinator with other tasks as assigned
- Maintain close working relationship with budget office, personnel offices operating unit, County payroll and retirement offices, and District employees
- Distribute payroll warrants and W-2 forms and answer payroll and deduction questions from employees
- Perform responsible payroll and clerical work independently
- Learn specific public laws, school district regulations and procedures relevant to the duties required
- Demonstrate skill on a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and communication software
- Make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Deal effectively with a wide variety of personalities and situations requiring diplomacy, friendliness, poise and firmness
- Keyboard at a speed of not less than 50 words per minute
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of Governmental accounting, laws and regulations of special projects;
- Financial recordkeeping, procedures and methods as they relate to a school district payroll;
- Principles of office management practices, County Office of Education, and other application software, calculators, and operation of modern office equipment;
- Computer accounting payroll systems;
- Microsoft Word; Works, Excel and FileMaker Pro;
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Revision Date: 07/05/2006
Initial date: 07/01/1977
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.