Salary range: 30
Reports to: Department Head
Under general direction, provide support to the overall operations of the Human Resources Department. This support will include Certificated and/or Classified Payrolls and Employee Benefits. Consistently ethical behavior and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality are essential.
- Equivalent to A.A. degree or higher with emphasis in Business and/or Accounting
- Three years of responsible experience in the maintenance of financial records
- Experience with computerized data entry and accounting systems.
- Provide support for the preparation of regular and variable Payrolls for Certificated and/or Classified personnel
- Prepare new employee information and enter this data into the Payroll and Health Insurance systems
- Respond to Benefit Eligibility and Coverage questions
- Receive, check and extend vouchers on part-time, substitute Classified employees, and Substitute Teachers
- Recap Payroll by various groups, and balance against audits received from County
- Assist the Audit Staff in their Annual Review of District Payroll books and records
- Respond to inquiries from employees regarding pay and/or Benefit status
- Prepare various reports and assist Director with other related tasks as assigned
- Maintain close working relationship with Budget Office, Personnel Offices Operating Unit, County Payroll and Retirement Offices, insurance carriers, and District employees
- Distribute payroll warrants and W-2 forms and answers payroll and deduction questions from employees
- Perform responsible payroll and clerical work independently
- Learn specific public laws, School District regulations and procedures relevant to the duties required
- Make arithmetical calculations with speed and accuracy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in written communications
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Deal effectively with a wide variety of personalities and situations requiring diplomacy, friendliness, poise and firmness
- Keyboard at a speed of not less than 50 words per minute
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of Governmental Accounting, laws, and regulations of special projects;
- Financial recordkeeping, procedures, and methods as they relate to a school district payroll;
- Principles of office management, County Office of Education and other related software, calculators, and operation of modern office equipment;
- Computer Accounting Payroll Systems;
- Word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and communication software;
- Microsoft Word; Works, Excel and FileMaker Pro;
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office environment; work is performed in a standard office environment; the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 12 Months
Revision Date: 11/18/2013
Initial date: 07/01/1977
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.