Science Resource Center Aide
Salary range: 21
Reports to: Elementary Education Director
Under general supervision, assist in the operation of Science Resource Center and the processes of refurbishing materials kits that support instruction in the science programs.
A.A. degree or equivalent experience, preferably including courses in or knowledge of general science.
Have and maintain a valid California Driver's License.
- Receive and manage components that make up the elementary science kits
- Maintain the Science Resource Center, both in terms of the refurbishing functions as well as in terms of meeting and staff development functions
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the Science Resource Center to ensure efficient operation
- Assist in maintaining the inventory of replacement parts for science kits as well as supplemental materials
- Implement standards for kit refurbishment and inventory control
- Implement best practices for the care of animals and plants in order to promote health and longevity of live materials in the SRC under the supervision of the SRC manager
- Promote the ecological handling, care and disposal of live materials
- Periodic update and maintenance of comprehensive supply catalog library
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with teachers, students, and other contacted during the course of this work
- Use a variety of computer applications
- Learn and interpret specific rules, laws, and policies, and apply them with good judgment in a variety of procedural situations
- With appropriate training, may be called upon to provide First Aid or CPR
- Carry out verbal and written directions from the Science Resource Center Manager and district staff independently.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate professionally and to work and maintain relationships with diverse groups and a wide variety of individuals to resolve problems;
- Deal with a wide variety of personalities and situations requiring tact, judgment, and poise;
- A thorough knowledge of scientific materials and procedures;
- An understanding of the availability of resources;
- Microsoft Office, email and internet use;
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation;
- Thorough knowledge of operations, procedures, specific rules, and precedents of the Science Resource Center.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, turn, talk and hear, and smell. The employee frequently is required to use hands to write, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift arms above shoulders to point, reach, touch, pull or lift.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office/Classroom environment; the employee may occasionally be exposed to potential for electric shock. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. Work environment may working directly with children.
The job entails potential for exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes; exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 10 Months
Revision Date: 03/27/2017
Initial date: 03/02/2007
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.