Salary range: 27
Reports to: Department Head
Under general supervision, perform secretarial work of above average difficulty; related work as required.
High School Diploma or equivalent education and experience
Four years of stenographic and clerical experience, including at least one in a responsible secretarial capacity.
- Compose correspondence and memos from brief verbal instructions or notes
- Conduct continuing correspondence independently on procedural or informational matters without review by supervisor
- Work with the public answering questions involving an understanding of policies, procedures, and regulations
- Act as receptionist, making appointments, arranging group meetings, and transmitting confidential or controversial information; compile reports from a wide variety of sources, and transmits to other offices or agencies
- Type difficult financial and statistical reports, budgets, contracts, etc.
- Analyze situations and make decisions on procedural matters without immediate supervision
- Learn, interpret and apply school district rules, laws and policies with good judgment while independently carrying out a variety of technical procedures
- Take responsibility and use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority; meet physical and/or mental Requirements associated with tasks outlined in this position description
- Compose correspondence independently
- May take dictation that includes a substantial amount of technical terminology
- May take minutes at group meetings, exercising judgment in taking verbatim minutes of some sections in accordance with general instructions
- Perform responsible and difficult clerical work with accuracy, speed, and a minimum of supervision
- Type at a speed of not less than 50 words a minute
- Deal effectively with a wide variety of personalities and situations requiring diplomacy, friendliness, pose, and firmness.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge office methods and practices, including filing systems, receptionist and telephone techniques, and letter and report writing;
- Knowledge of computer applications, including Word, Excel, and FileMaker Pro;
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation;
- Basic methods of financial record keeping and budget preparation;
- Office machines and some skill in their operation;
- Basic functions and typical organization of a school district.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally required stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a standard office environment; the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 10 months
Revision Date: 03/27/2017
Initial date: 12/14/2000
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.