Server and Storage Administrator
Salary range: 54
Reports to: Chief Education Officer
Manage the District's server infrastructure composed of approximately 170 virtualized servers, a variety of physical servers including Windows, Ubuntu and Mac OS servers, a Brocade SAN, three storage systems (NetApp, Pure Storage and EMC), and Actifio server backup.
Triage issues and provide tier 2 support for users and Computer Support Specialists; upgrade existing and implement new technologies and provision additional services as required. Support other staff members in the management of the District's server infrastructure and network.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Electrical Engineering, plus a minimum of five years' experience with the major job responsibilities, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience with Windows and Linux server administration, virtualization, and VMWare are required
- Experience with Fibre Channel and iSCSI technologies is required
- Experience setting up and managing web farms (IIS, Apache, MySQL and SQL Server) including scalability, redundancy, security, backups and disaster recovery is required
- Experience with Pure Storage, Actifio backup and NetApp is desired
- Experience with Mac OS and Xserve is desired
- Experience deploying and administering VDI is desired
- Tier 2 Customer Support experience is desired
- Certifications: VCP (VMWare Certified Professional); Data Center Virtualization certificate desired.
- Manage the District's virtualized (VMWare VSphere 5.1) and physical server infrastructure, including providing development, testing, and production environments to staff as needed
- Collaborate with team members, software vendors and other technical staff to develop, design, implement and continuously improve systems
- Triage and repair problems with assigned systems
- Manage the District's storage resources including the Pure Storage, NetApp and EMC devices throughout their lifecycles
- Ensure that servers and services are appropriately updated and patched, ensuring system security and reliability.
- Initiate and manage upgrades and procurement of replacement equipment as required
- Allocate and manage resources and ensure that sufficient capacity exists to meet District needs
- Manage Actifio, the District's server backup solution
- Manage DNS and DHCP services
- Implement VDI for Windows clients
- Manage, maintain and upgrade the District's Fibre Channel SAN
- Participate in the management of ongoing strategic programs as assigned
- Maintain high standards in terms of written materials/documentation, including system level documentation, infrastructure/incident reports and monitoring anomalies
- Related duties as assigned
- Provide technical leadership to computer support technicians and network technicians.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Windows OS (XP, Windows 7), Linux (Ubuntu), Mac OS (OS X 10.x) and iOS;
- In-depth understanding of and experience working with server and storage technologies, including SAN, RAID and NAS;
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with server virtualization technologies including experience with VMWare, including VSphere 5.1;
- Familiarity with Server Administration;
- Experience with DNS and DHCP;
- Understanding of the following technologies: Exchange, Active Directory, Open Directory, Enterprise Antivirus and Identity Federation;
- Knowledge of basic networking, including TCP/IP and VLAN Experience working with Fibre Channel and iSCSI technologies;
- Experience setting up and managing web farms (IIS, Apache, MySQL and SQL Server) including scalability, redundancy, security, backups and disaster recovery required;
- Strong skills with shell commands and scripting are required
- Experience applying application and database security best practices in a production environment;
- Extensive hardware and software troubleshooting skills and experience;
- Ability to lead and mentor others; Experience providing both Tier 1 and Tier 2 support;
- Strong organization skills;
- Ability to communicate and influence others;
- Excellent 'desk-side manner';
- Ability to analyze and solve complex technical and business problems;
- Ability to manage and maintain confidential information;
- An interest in technology-related news and humor a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or more. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 12 Months
Revision Date: 02/24/2014
Initial date: 07/01/2003
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.