Salary range: 22
Assist Certificated Teacher(s) in the instruction and supervision of an individual Special Education student by assisting with instructional support and child care activities and prescribed specialized one-to-one and/or small group services. Receive direct to general supervision from Certificated Teacher(s). Where appropriate, receive training and indirect supervision by District Nurse and/or other professional in the performance of specific Medical and/or Behavior Management procedures. Provide responsible support and follow-through activities as specified in the student's Individual Educational Plan (I.E.P.).
- A.A. degree or equivalent required
- Satisfactory work history required
- Satisfactory experience demonstrating tact, courtesy, and positive attitude, and maintaining cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work required
- Experience working with students with learning and emotional disabilities, and/or equivalent experience, preferred.
- Assist the Classroom Teacher with the development and presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises
- Tutor students individually or in small groups to reinforce and follow up learning activity
- Assist in the management and shaping of student behavior through the use of positive reinforcement strategies
- Auditory and visual monitoring of students both inside the classroom and during outside activities
- May perform clerical duties such as filing or duplicating materials
- Use computer to maintain student records, attendance, and files
- Maintain student discipline in the absence of the teacher
- Assist in maintaining a neat, orderly, and attractive learning environment
- May use bilingual abilities in dealing with assigned duties related to students, public, and staff
- Learn the physical requirements and/or specific needs of assigned Special Education student
- Understand the needs of assigned child and to effectively relate to these needs in a learning and/or recreational situation
- Understand and carry out both oral and written instructions in an independent manner
- Maintain confidentiality of student records
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Perform all related duties as assigned
- Maintain calm and patience in stressful situations
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of methods to successfully complete necessary Medical, Behavior Management, and Safety and Welfare training;
- Knowledge and understanding of th general needs and behaviors of children;
- Proper English usage and grammar;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Curriculum applicable to grade level;
- Computer and software applications appropriate to assignment;
- Record-keeping techniques.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, turn, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to write, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, and taste or smell.
Employee must be able to push and maneuver students in wheelchairs, safely lift and support student's weight for transferring from wheelchairs, toileting, etc. Lifting and supporting students with weight up to 70 lbs. and frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing a minimum of 20 lbs.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee works directly with students.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work Year: 10 months
Revision Date: 03/27/2017
Initial date: 02/09/2011
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.