Teacher, Elementary Reading Specialist
Salary range: Placement on the teacher's salary schedule
Reports to: Site Principal or Assistant Principal
- Valid California Multiple Subject Credential with a Reading Certificate, Specialist Instruction Credential in Reading and Language Arts or Reading and Literacy Added Authorization
- Minimum of two years successful teaching experience in the primary grades
- Demonstrated use of assessment to inform instruction
- Demonstrated implementation of a balanced literacy program in the classroom
- Successful teaching experience with students of diverse racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds
- Effective use of teaching strategies with English Language Learners
- Reading Recovery training desirable
- Knowledge of a second language desirable
- Training in coaching desirable
- Ability to pass a Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprint clearance
- Current status as a permanent (contract) teacher with PAUSD
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree, Master's preferred
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Possession of a Clear and valid California Teaching Credential, in appropriate content area, as required by the California Education Code
- Possession of an English Learner Authorization (CLAD or BCLAD), as per by Board policy, may be required
- Within 60 days of hire, provision of TB (tuberculin) clearance, as mandated by the California Education Code
- Provide individual and small group reading instruction for identified students in grades K-5 with an emphasis on first grade students
- Maintain and communicate high expectations and a belief that students will become literate with quality classroom and reading specialist instruction
- Use formal and informal assessment to provide appropriate literacy instruction for identified students
- Provide expertise, coaching and collaboration for and with classroom teachers
- Support teaching of reading in the content areas
- Network with Reading Specialists from other schools and share best literacy practices
- Meet with parents through conferencing or family visits
- Provide trimester progress reports to inform parents of student progress
- Participate in Student Success Team meetings for students struggling in reading
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. Employee will frequently work at a computer and travel to attend meetings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work environment includes working directly with children. There are a number of activities and situations happening at once, and the employee must ensure that children are supervised at all times, and that children are involved in safe and appropriate activities. The employee must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time
The job entails potential for exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes; exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases; and for interaction with disruptive and/or unruly individuals.
Work Year: 187 days
Revision Date: 03/20/2017
Initial date: 03/20/2017
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.