Teacher, Sixth Grade
Salary range: Placement on the teacher's salary schedule
Reports to: Site Principal or Assistant Principal
The Sixth Grade Teacher provides a sixth grade educational program for students in middle school; assists in other school programs as assigned; maintains control over the classroom; preserves suitable learning conditions; and evaluates student progress.
Middle schools have Wheel-referring to a sixth grade program for elective subjects. Sixth grade students cycle through 6 electives subjects, each for 6 weeks. This provides the students the opportunity to explore a variety of elective courses and make more informed decisions about what electives to choose in seventh and eighth grades. Wheel classes include art, computer keyboarding/explorations, drama, guidance, home economics, and industrial technology.
- Ability to pass a Department of Justice (DOJ) fingerprint clearance
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Possession of a valid California Teaching Credential, in appropriate content area, as required by the California Education Code
- Possession of an English Learner certificate (CLAD or BCLAD), as per by Board policy, may be required
- Possession of NCLB "Highly Qualified" certificate, as required by the No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001
- Within 60 days of hire, provision of TB (tuberculin) clearance, as mandated by the California Education Code
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to work comfortably with students, staff, parents, and the community, from diverse backgrounds, while being responsive to their needs
- Effective interpersonal, communication, conflict resolution, time management, and record keeping skills
- Knowledgeable about training in current approaches to teaching and structures for differentiated instruction
- Positive, successful record as an educator, in appropriate grade level or content area, preferred
- Proficiency in a second language preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. Employee will frequently work at a computer and travel to attend meetings.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work environment includes working directly with children. There are a number of activities and situations happening at once, and the employee must ensure that children are supervised at all times, and that children are involved in safe and appropriate activities. The employee must be prepared to handle accidents and emergencies at any time
The job entails potential for exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes; exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases; and for interaction with disruptive and/or unruly individuals.
Work Year: 187 days
Revision Date: 11/01/2016
Initial date: 03/22/2017
Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and all other applicable federal, state, and local laws.