PAUSD’s design for the scope and sequence for computer science instruction should bring CS to all students from pre-kindergarteners through 12th graders. The committee will review the national K-12 Computer Science and the California State K-12 Computer Science frameworks and make cogent curriculum design recommendations for implementation in our schools.
This year, the committee’s process will lead to a grade-band recommendations and associated recommendations, such as graduation requirements, that will be presented to the PAUSD School Board for discussion and possible adoption in May/June 2017.
It is expected that the details of implementation are designed throughout the 2017-18 academic year with implementation expected in the 2018-19 school year.
Although the committee membership may change each year, committee membership is largely informed by the Board Policy 6161.1 (textbook selection committee make-up).
The committee membership may include:
- six to 10 computer science educators from each educational level: elementary, middle and high
- three administrators, one from each educational level: elementary, middle and high
- one English Language Learner educator
- one Special Education educator
- three to six parent representatives, with representatives having a current student from elementary, middle, or high school
- two to four high school students, two representatives from each high school
The committee will be facilitated by the designee(s) of the PAUSD Chief Academic Officers of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Meeting dates are below. Meeting times are largely yet to be determined. Locations of the meetings will be announced in due course. All meetings are public.
- Mon, Feb 13, 2017; 8:30 am to 3:00 pm; Room SDC (also known as the Board Room); introduction; beginning work on the task
- Mon, Feb 27, 2017; Times are TBD
- Mon, Mar 13, 2017; Times are TBD
- Mon, Mar 27, 2017; Times are TBD
- Mon, April 17, 2017; Times are TBD; draft of BOE presentation
- Mon, May 8, 2017; Times are TBD; finalization of BOE presentation