PAUSD’s design for the scope and sequence for computer science instruction should bring CS to all students from pre-kindergarteners through 12th graders. The committee will review the national K-12 Computer Science and the California State K-12 Computer Science frameworks and make cogent curriculum design recommendations for implementation in our schools.
This year, the committee’s process will lead to a grade-band recommendations and associated recommendations, such as graduation requirements, that will be presented to the PAUSD School Board for discussion and possible adoption in May/June 2017.
It is expected that the details of implementation are designed throughout the 2017-18 academic year with implementation expected in the 2018-19 school year.
Although the committee membership may change each year, committee membership is largely informed by the Board Policy 6161.1 (textbook selection committee make-up).
The committee membership may include:
- six to 10 computer science educators from each educational level: elementary, middle and high
- three administrators, one from each educational level: elementary, middle and high
- one English Language Learner educator
- one Special Education educator
- three to six parent representatives, with representatives having a current student from elementary, middle, or high school
- two to four high school students, two representatives from each high school
The committee will be facilitated by the designee(s) of the PAUSD Chief Academic Officers of Elementary and Secondary Education.
All meetings are public.
- Mon, Feb 13, 2017; 8:30 am to 3:00 pm; Room SDC (also known as the Board Room); introduction; beginning work on the task
- Mon, Feb 27, 2017; 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm; Room A, District Office
- Mon, Mar 13, 2017; 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm; Room A, District Office
- Mon, Mar 27, 2017; 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm; SDC (Board Room), District Office
- Mon, April 17, 2017; (Draft the BOE Presentation) 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm; Room A, District Office
- Mon, May 8, 2017; (Finalize the BOE Presentation) 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm; SDC (Board Room), District Office
Applications for membership in the committee have now closed. Many thanks to the 45 parents and 23 students who have applied for a seat on the committee. Members will be notified by January 30, 2017. Committee membership is approximately 34 people: ten computer science teacher experts, seven parents from elementary through high school, three principals (one from each level), seven high school students, one special education teacher, two English Language Learner specialists, the Education and Information Technologies specialist, a PAUSD elementary TOSA, a PAUSD secondary TOSA and the two Chief Academic Officers.
The PAUSD PK-12 CS CDAC meetings may be attended by the public. The public may give input to the committee's work by either filling out a form (available at the meeting) or emailing Suz Antink directly (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Computer Science Teacher Experts
Katie Bramlett, Addison ES; email@example.com
Will Friebel, Paly HS; firstname.lastname@example.org
Teri Gilbert, Jordan MS; email@example.com
Jessica Hexsel, Gunn HS; firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Hull , Palo Verde ES; email@example.com
Smita Kolhatkar, Barron Park ES; firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris Kuszmaul, Paly HS; email@example.com
Josh Paley, Gunn HS; firstname.lastname@example.org
David Rosenblatt, Terman MS; email@example.com
Jeanie Smith, Jordan MS; firstname.lastname@example.org
Matali Dhar; Upper ES Parent; email@example.com
Shuchi Grover; HS Parent; firstname.lastname@example.org
Vikas Gupta; Early ES Parent; email@example.com
Patricia Kellison; HS Parent; firstname.lastname@example.org
Araceli Ramirez; Upper ES Parent; Araceli.email@example.com
Max Rayner; MS Parent; Max.firstname.lastname@example.org
Paolo Werbrouck; MS Parent; Paolo.email@example.com
Kim Diorio; Paly HS Principal; firstname.lastname@example.org
Tom Jacoubowsky; Briones ES Principal; email@example.com
Katie Kinnaman; Jordan MS Principal; firstname.lastname@example.org
John Guibas; Gunn HS Student
Arjan Mobin; Paly HS Student
Avanika Narayan; Paly HS Student
Mallika Parulekar; Gunn HS Student
Robbie Selwyn; Paly HS Student
Maggie Wang; Gunn HS Student
Special Education Teacher Representative: TBD
ELL Teacher Representative
Adjunct: Shirley Jou, El Carmelo ES; email@example.com
Adjunct Erica Ng, Jordan MS; firstname.lastname@example.org
Suz Antink, CCSS-M/CS Secondary TOSA; email@example.com
Amanda Gantley, Elementary TOSA, Math Specialist; firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Garrison, Coordinator of Education and Information Technologies; email@example.com
Chief Academic Officers
Barbara Harris, Chief Academic Officer Elementary Education; firstname.lastname@example.org
Sharon Ofek, Chief Academic Officer Secondary Education; email@example.com