The Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) is seeking applicants for a Citizen Advisory Committee to research, review, and recommend new names for David Starr Jordan Middle School and Terman Middle School by December 31, 2017. Recommended names need to fall within the parameters of Board Policy 7310 – Naming of Facility, which currently reads:
The Board of Education may name district schools and other district-owned or leased buildings, grounds, and facilities in recognition of:
- Individuals, living or deceased, and entities that have made outstanding contributions, including financial contributions, to the school community
- Individuals, living or deceased, who have made contributions of statewide, national, or worldwide significance
- The geographic area in which the school or building is located
Any name adopted for any new school shall not be so similar to the name of any existing district school as to result in confusion to members of the community. [In other words, the new names cannot contain either Jordan or Terman.]
Before adopting any proposed name, the Board shall hold a public hearing at which members of the public will be given an opportunity to provide input.
Also, please note the following:
- Committee membership will be representative of the larger community and reflect its cultural diversity and range of perspectives.
- Committee chair(s) will be selected from members who express their interest and can verify they have the time to devote to the task. Chief Academic Officer Sharon Ofek will facilitate the work of the Committee.
- As Board Policy 1220 – Citizen Advisory Committee, notes, “Citizen advisory committees shall serve in an advisory capacity; they may make recommendations, but their actions shall not be binding on the Board or Superintendent.
- Members must commit to attending biweekly meetings that will last between two to three hours during the school year. Additional work between meetings is likely and may require two to four hours per week.
Application deadline: Friday, June 16, 2017, 5:00 pm.
Completed applications must be sent to:
Dr. Glenn “Max” McGee, Superintendent
Palo Alto Unified School District
25 Churchill Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94306
or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Committee will be selected by June 21, 2017.
Thank you for considering applying for this work, which will make a meaningful and lasting positive difference to our students and community.