Over the past several years, the teachers in our district have been transitioning to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) adopted by the California State Board of Education in 2010 and modified in January 2013. In February 2014 the Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) Board of Education approved secondary (Grades 6-12) math content shifts to align with the CCSS in Mathematics (CCSS-M). Teachers have used supplemental resources and teacher created materials to align their curriculum with the CCSS. In January 2014, the State Board of Education approved math textbooks and materials aligned with the CCSS-M for grades K-8, for possible adoption by school districts. This school year (2015-2016) PAUSD middle school math teachers have been exploring the state-approved textbooks and materials. Their feedback during this exploration period, along with the work of the newly formed Middle School Math Textbook Selection Advisory Committee, will result in the selection of two to three curricula to formally pilot at our middle schools in the 2016-2017 school year. Following the pilot, the Middle School Math Textbook Selection Advisory Committee will recommend curriculum for formal adoption in the 2017-2018 school year. Both the Elementary and Middle School math adoption processes are closely coordinated: both levels are exploring state-approved instructional materials in the 2015-2016 academic year; both levels will be piloting materials in the 2016-2017 academic year; and both levels will recommend curriculum adoptions to the PAUSD Board of Education for implementation in the 2017-2018 academic year. The math adoption and subsequent implementation and professional development align with the PAUSD Strategic Plan Goal A.
The Middle School Math Textbook Advisory Selection Committee was formed in March and April 2016. The committee composition and adoption process are defined by Board Policy and Administrative Regulations for Selection and Evaluation of Instructional Materials (BP 6161.1 and AR 6161.1), and are partially quoted below:
The superintendent or designee may establish an instructional materials evaluation committee to evaluate and recommend instructional materials for Board approval. This committee shall consist of a majority of teachers and may also include administrators, other staff who have subject-matter expertise, parents/guardians, community members, and students as appropriate.
- …Shall include up to three staff members from each school, chosen from the department in which the text is to be used.
- …Shall include representation for the full array of special needs youngsters, including staff representation from special education.
- …Shall include a community representative from each school area selected by the principal after consultation with the local PTA and other community members.
- Shall include one student from each school (the principal and student body officers shall advertise this opportunity and select the student by a process jointly agreed upon).
- …Shall include administrative and library staff representation where appropriate
- Elizabeth Fee, JLS IS
- Sarah Pierce, Jordan IS
- Becky Rea, Terman IS
- Stanley Chow, JLS Parent
- Sameer Gupta, Jordan Parent
- Marlo Kitch, Terman Parent
- Steven Shirley, JLS Math Teacher
- Josh Spira, Jordan Math Teacher
- Lori Lester, Terman Math Teacher
- Lisa Hickey, JLS Principal
- Mimi Kwon, Jordan Asst. Principal
- Loup Gourvenec, JLS Student
- Connor Missett, JLS Student
- Isabella Keller, Jordan Student
- Shana Ebrahimnajad, Terman Student
- Amanda Gantley, Nixon Elementary Teacher/DO TOSA, Elementary Math
- Dave Deggeller, Gunn Math Teacher
- Cynthia Chen, Paly Math Teacher
- Maureen Duffy, Terman Special Education IS
- Erin Harrigan, JLS EL Coordinator
- Sharon Ofek, PAUSD CAO Secondary
- Suz Antink, DO TOSA, Secondary Math
These meetings are open to the public.
- Tuesday, April 12, 2016
4:00 pm-7:00 pm – Jordan MS, Room N-3
Introduction, Committee Charge, Nuts & Bolts (Organizational Meeting)
- Wednesday, April 20, 2016
10:30 am-1:40 pm—SCCOE
Visit Santa Clara County Office of Education to look at State-Adopted Materials
- Wednesday, April 27, 2016
2:00 pm -5:00 pm –JLS, Room 310
Publishers’ Presentations and Debrief (Math 6, 7, 7A, and 8)
- Wednesday, May 4, 2016
2:15-3:15 pm – JLS, Room 540
Publishers’ Presentations and Debrief (Algebra 8)
- Wednesday, May 11, 2016
8:00 am-12:00 pm –JLS, Room 730
Plan Pilot for Fall, 2016
- Wednesday, Oct 19, 2016
2:00 pm – 5:00 pm –JLS, Room 730; Joint Middle School Mtg at 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm; Public welcome at 3:30 to 5:00 pm; Update on Pilot
- November 30, 2016
4 pm to 7 pm; District Office, Room A (Aspen)
Next Steps: Review Teacher Evaluations of Materials; Next Steps
February 7, 2017; 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm; District Office, Room A; Complete review of teacher input; Prepare BOE presentation
Mar 1, 2017; 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm; District Office, SDC (BOE) Room; Complete preparation of BOE presentation
- 2016 May 11 Mtg Notes
- 2016 May 4 Mtg Notes
- 2016 April 27 Mtg Notes
- 2016 April 20 Mtg Notes
- 2016 April 12 Mtg Notes
Middle School Math Textbook Advisory Committee's pilot materials are on display at each of the three middle schools (JLS, Jordan and Terman) and in the Staff Lounge at the District Office (25 Churchill Avenue, Palo Alto, 94306). Math 6, Math 7 and 7A, Math 8 and Algebra 8 materials are available for examination. Big Ideas and Math in Focus programs are being considered. The community is welcome to share their insights about the materials on the provided forms. The completed forms will be shared with the committee. Thank you.