Physical education is a valued and integral part of our elementary curriculum. A traveling team of credentialed, physical education specialists provides instruction to all elementary school classrooms. Lessons develop:
Grades 1 - 3
- Meet once a week for 30 minutes
- Engage in activities that include movement exploration, cooperative games, stations, tag games, relays, multicultural rhythms, square dance, and fitness routines
- Use equipment such as bean bags, foam balls, parachutes, hoops, jump ropes, scoops, rhythm sticks, balloons, and scarves
Grades 4 - 5
- Meet twice a week for 70 minutes
- Engage in specialized skills and sport activities
- Work in small and large groups
- Learn the importance of cooperation
Students are assessed on 5 fitness components—cardiovascular endurance, body composition, strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility.
A traveling team of credentialed physical education teachers visits each elementary school to provide physical education instruction. Their names and contact information are posted on individual school Web sites.
If you have questions, contact the Elementary Physical Education office at (650) 329-3944 email@example.com.