New Student Enrollment
2024-25 School Year Priority Registration
- December 01, 2023 – Online registration available
- January 11, 2024 – Appointments for the 2024-25 school year begin.
Please read this page entirely before proceeding, as it contains important information to ensure parent(s)/guardians(s) successfully complete the registration.
To qualify to register and enroll with, and attend, schools within the Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD):
Student must be currently and continuously residing with a parent/guardian whose home is located within the boundaries of PAUSD (Tinsley/VTP students must be currently and continuously residing with a parent/guardian whose home is located within the boundaries of Ravenswood City School District, or RCSD).
- To avoid a residency violation, parents/guardians are strongly advised to read the legal definition of "residing" at the Residency - Important Information page.
- Registrations are accepted only for current residents. Future residents can register two weeks prior to the move-in date.
- Some areas of Palo Alto are not within PAUSD boundaries; some areas of Los Altos Hills and Portola Valley are within PAUSD boundaries. To determine if your residence is within PAUSD boundaries, enter your address into the School Finder application. (Tinsley/VTP: enter your address into the RCSD School Locator.)
- New to the area? Read the "Moving Into Palo Alto" page for advice and planning tips.
To enroll in Kindergarten, student must be at least 5 years of age on or before September 1 of the academic year of enrollment. For more details on age qualifications for other grades, visit the Grade Placement page.
PAUSD does not allow early admission to Kindergarten. Transitional Kindergarten is available for students who turn 5 on or before December 2 of the academic year of enrollment. For more information, visit the PAUSD Transitional Kindergarten web page.
PAUSD residents requesting Special Education Preschool services (3 year of age or older) may also register.