Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) will welcome more than sixty new educators to its classrooms across its 17 campuses at the start of the 2017-18 school year. The group of newly-hired educators as of late July includes close to 40 new employees at the secondary level and another 30 for the elementary level schools. Most of the teachers, school counselors, and psychologists have been hired from throughout California with others from as close as Washington and Utah to as far as Hawaii and Massachusetts.
In reviewing the data of the newly-hired PAUSD employees, PAUSD Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources Ms. Karen Hendricks, a new employee herself, said, “I am delighted that we are starting strong! While PAUSD is a well-regarded and sought after school district, the Bay Area’s high cost of living still makes it challenging to attract talent to this region. We are fortunate to have a supportive community and Board of Education, which allows us to offer a competitive and attractive package as well as positive working conditions, all of which enable us to recruit the very best professionals who contribute to the school district’s mission of ensuring the high quality teaching and learning that our students deserve.”
Here’s a breakdown of PAUSD’s newest educators:
- 13 teachers will teach special education
- Eight teachers will teach science
- Five teachers will teach foreign language
- The largest number of teachers, a total of 13, have been hired at Gunn High School, followed by Palo Alto High School with 12, and Jordan Middle School with nine
- 75% of PAUSD’s new teachers have at least a master’s degree
- 13 of the new educators are joining PAUSD from out of state
- Four of the new hires are school counselors
PAUSD officially welcomed its newest educators during the 2017 New Hire Orientation on August 2. PAUSD Superintendent Dr. Glenn "Max" McGee, 2017 Board President Ms. Terry Godfrey, Board members, district leaders, and school principals were on hand to welcome the new hires to the school district.
PAUSD 2017 New Hire Orientation:
PAUSD goes back to school Monday, August 14 (Grades 9-12) and Tuesday, August 15 (Grades K-8).