February 28, 2019
March 5, 2019

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FROM THE OFFICE OF THE SUPERINTENDENT
February 28, 2019

Earlier today, the smell of gas was detected outdoors at Hoover Elementary School.  Principal, Jim Sherman, moved all students indoors immediately.  Members of the Palo Alto Police and Fire Departments quickly confirmed that a gas pipe had been ruptured during a project on the street.  Students were sheltered in place at the direction of the principal in consultation with local authorities.

The gas pipe has been shut off and the Palo Alto Fire Department has determined there is no danger.  The streets will be reopened shortly and school activities will return to normal.  There is no reason to pick up students early.  The first responsibility of our principal was to maintain the safety of Hoover students and staff.  We are pleased to report all safety protocols were followed and the primary goal of maintaining a safe environment was handled with care and professionalism.