Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) teachers and students will now have the full week of Thanksgiving off starting in 2017-18. The Palo Alto Educators Association (PAEA) recently ratified the calendars for the 2017-18 and the 2018-19 school years after the PAUSD Board of Education’s adoption during its March 28, 2017, Regular Board Meeting. The full school calendars can be found here.
In addition to the full week off during Thanksgiving, other differences for the upcoming school year include:
- Winter break begins on Friday, December 22 and runs through January 7, 2018,
- The break in February has only four non-student days instead of five days, and
- The school year ends on a Friday (June 1) instead of a Thursday.
Similarities for 2017-18 and 2018-19 to the current year include:
- A staggered school start date in the third week of August,
- The first semester ending before winter break,
- A staggered school start date after winter break,
- Spring break the first week of April, and
- Non-student days in each month of the school calendar.
As part of the Board’s adoption during the March 28, 2017, Regular Board Meeting, the Board also narrowed its consideration of the 2019-20 school calendar to two calendar versions, 2019-20A and 2019-20B. One calendar continues the full week off at Thanksgiving and the second calendar option has the traditional three-day break for Thanksgiving. The final decision on which calendar is adopted will come after parents, staff, and students have been surveyed and their input taken into consideration during negotiation by PAUSD, the Palo Alto Educators Association (PAEA), and the California School Employees Association (CSEA).