PAUSD would like to welcome back our parents, students and staff from what we hope was an enjoyable holiday break full of new adventures. But as the holidays come to a close, it's the start of a new year, which hopefully brings new enthusiasm, challenges and learning opportunities. With returning to school comes the need to be extra careful while on the road to help keep our community safe for everyone. Below is a quick list of safety tips to help us on our way to an even safer school year.
- Parents, please use the designated drop-off/pick-up lane at your school for the safe arrival and departure of your children. Remember, "School Zone" speed limits are established to keep our children safe.
- Please stay off your phone! There is no place for distracted driving, especially in school zones. Alert motorists save lives.
- Never stop in traffic to drop off your child. You may think it's convenient, but it is also dangerous and illegal.
- When walking, be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to the school crossing guards; they are there for your safety.
- Never walk while texting. If you need to text someone, move out of the way of others and stop on the sidewalk.
These are just a few tips to get us started. If you are interested in more safety tips for bicyclists, pedestrians, skaters, and drivers you can visit the City of Palo Alto's Education Resources page. Please remember, traffic safety is everyone's responsibility and together we can make a difference. Stay safe!