Palo Alto Unified School District facilities are sometimes available for use by the community. Activities should adhere to the interests of the district and should not interfere with educational programs. First priority is always given to the education of students.
All facility use requests must be submitted through a cloud-based program called Civic Permits https://pausd.civicpermits.com and the applicant is able to track the status of the request online. The lead time for all requests is 35-days.
The deadline to submit a rental application during the summer is March 1, 2020.
The last day of use for the 2020 summer rental period is July 17, 2020.
Mandatory Cleaning Period: July 20, 2020 through August 7, 2020. Schools are not available for rental during the Mandatory Cleaning Period as the Custodial Department will be cleaning all the schools in preparation for the opening of the new school year.
Review the Public Use Policy for renting PAUSD school facilities.
Rules and Regulations
- Facility Permits may NOT be granted for personal or individual use.
- Access to Facility; District Custodian. School keys must remain in the possession of an authorized district employee. Buildings will be opened (only when given evidence of approved permit), attended and closed by a custodian or school administrator (district employee). A district custodian will be on duty during the rental period to assist the user and for facility safety. Use permit holder is required to pay a custodial fee. All participants and spectators must remain in the area assigned.
- Permit Approval. The Facility Use Permit is not valid until approved by Risk Management. Risk Management will determine if the permit applicant is eligible for a Facility Use Permit, the level of insurance required and estimation of fees imposed. An authorized copy of the permit will be given to the applicant upon final approval. Approval from the school administrator indicates space is available.
- Facility User's Duty To Inspect, Warn and Rectify. Facility User agrees that the District makes no representations or warranties as to the condition of the facilities which the user is using and the user agrees to take such property and facilities "AS IS." Facilitiy User agrees to be responsible for determining that the facilities are in proper and safe condition to be used for the purpose anticipated; Facility User agrees to inspect such property before they are used and to take affirmative steps where necessary to warn users or rectify hazards in order to prevent injury to property and persons. User agrees to refuse the use of the property if unsatisfactory conditions are not rectified prior to scheduled use. All applicants are encouraged to preview the District facility prior to reserving to determine appropriateness for the intended activity.
- Fees. Groups and organizations whose activities are open to the general public and whose net receipts, fees and contributions are expended for the welfare of the pupils of Palo Alto Unified School District or for charitable purposes may be charged a facility use fee which will not exceed direct costs. Church and religious activities are charged an amount at least equal to the district's direct costs (Ed. Code 38134). All other activities are charged an amount not to exceed fair rental value. Applicants must be in good standing and not have any unpaid fees with the district.
- Cancellations must be made in writing by user and received thirty (30) days before the event. One third of rental fees and charges is non-refundable unless the PAUSD cancels the use permit. A full refund will be made if PAUSD cancels use permit. No refund is given if cancellation is made less than thirty (30) days by user before the event.
- Cleanup/Damages. Users are responsible for the condition in which they leave the facility. Any repairs or costs related to cleanup, loss of district property or trash removal will be charged to the applicant. Costs will be determined by the Facilities/Maintenance/Custodial and/or Risk Manager. Failure to pay promptly for such damage is grounds for denial of future school facility use.
- Permit Use. a) Permits must conclude 30 minutes prior to the end of a regular employee's shift. Facility users are responsible for any overtime charges incurred in relation to the Facility Use Permit. b) No permit shall be issued for a period longer than the fiscal year (July 1 - June 30). c) Use of facilities beyond 11:00 pm is prohibited. d) The California Vehicle Code is enforced on all district property.
- The use of profane language, quarreling or fighting, betting or any form of gambling, conducting of raffles or lotteries, inflatables, bonfires or live DJ music are prohibited on district property. Any person under the influence of alcohol will be denied participation in any activity. Violation of this regulation is justification for immediate termination of the event, and denial of future use of school facilities.
- Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and/or the use of tobacco products is prohibited at any time on district property.
- Facility Alteration. Permit holders are not authorized to alter any of the facilities in any manner or to erect, construct or bring onto district property any unauthorized vehicle, temporary building or structure.
- Fields/Rain. Use of school playing fields is not permitted when it rains on the day of use, if the field is wet 48 hours preceding use or such activity will be harmful to the playing surface, and when such conditions may present a safety hazard to users.
- The school administrator or Risk Manager determines the appropriateness of granting the use of the facility to user and is authorized to insist upon appropriate security and supervision of all activities held in district facilities.
- Sub-leases are prohibited.
- User agrees not to discriminate against anyone on any basis pursuant to state and federal law.
- Permits may be revoked whenever there has been a violation of the above regulations.
- Swimming Pools are available to groups that are able to supply a certified lifeguard, which must be presented at least two weeks prior to the first date of use.