The State of California and Santa Clara County require all students to fulfill a number of health requirements before they can enter school.
- Health Examination for School Entry (CHDP Report)
- California law requires a health assessment 18 months before or up to 90 days after enrolling in first grade
- Immunizations Required for School Entry
- To enter into public and private schools, children under age 18 must have these immunizations
- For more information on where to get immunizations for your child in Santa Clara County, click here.
- TB Risk Assessment for School Entry
- Santa Clara County Schools, Santa Clara County Public Health Department
- Oral Health Assessment
- A dental check-up is required by May 31st of a student's first year in a California public school
- For information on low-cost dental clinics, click here.
- For families with Denti-Cal, the following link lists providers who accept Denti-Cal:
Santa Clara County Denti-Cal Providers
San Mateo County Denti-Cal Providers
California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at transitional kindergarten(TK)/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child’s Immunization Record as proof of immunization.
Students admitted at ages 4-6 years
- Diphtheria,Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or DT) — 5 doses (4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Hepatitis B — 3 doses
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses (Both given on or after 1st birthday)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) — 1 dose
Students starting 7th grade
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) — 1 dose (Whooping cough booster usually given on or after the 7th birthday)
- Measles - containing vaccine (MMR) — 2 doses (Usually given at 12 months of age and 4-6 years of age) First dose must have been given on or after the 1st birthday
New admissions to the 7th grade who have not received any prior immunizations or students who had a valid personal beliefs exemption filed before 2016 between Kindergarten and 6th grade, must also meet the requirements of ages 7-17 as outlined below.
Students admitted at ages 7-17 years require
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, DT, Tdap, or Td) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if last dose was given on or after 2nd birthday)
- Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 2nd birthday)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 1 dose (2 doses required at 7th grade)
- Varicella (chickenpox) (Admission at ages 7-12 years need 1 dose; ages 13-17 years need 2 doses)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) —1 dose at 7th grade or out-of-state transfer admission at 8th–12thgrades (1 dose on or after the 7th birthday)
If you have questions about enrollment requirements, please contact the Welcome Center at email@example.com or 650-329-3707.
For other health related questions, please contact Health Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-833-4240.