The State of California and Santa Clara County require all students to fulfill a number of health requirements before they can enter school. 

  1. Health Examination for School Entry (CHDP Report) 
    • California law requires a health assessment 18 months before or up to 90 days after enrolling in first grade
  2. Immunizations Required for School Entry
    • To enter into public and private schools, children under age 18 must have these immunizations
    • For more information on where to get immunizations for your child in Santa Clara County, click here.
  3. TB Risk Assessment for School Entry 
    • Santa Clara County Schools, Santa Clara County Public Health Department
  4. Oral Health Assessment

Required Immunization

California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at transitional kindergarten(TK)/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child’s Immunization Record as proof of immunization.

Students admitted at ages 4-6 years 

Students starting 7th grade

  • TetanusDiphtheriaPertussis (Tdap) — 1 dose (Whooping cough booster usually given on or after the 7th birthday)
  • Measles - containing vaccine (MMR) — 2 doses (Usually given at 12 months of age and 4-6 years of age) First dose must have been given on or after the 1st birthday 

New admissions to the 7th grade who have not received any prior immunizations or students who had a valid personal beliefs exemption filed before 2016 between Kindergarten and 6th grade, must also meet the requirements of ages 7-17 as outlined below.

Students admitted at ages 7-17 years require

  • Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, DT, Tdap, or Td) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if last dose was given on or after 2nd birthday)
  • Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 2nd birthday)
  • MeaslesMumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 1 dose (2 doses required at 7th grade)
  • Varicella (chickenpox) (Admission at ages 7-12 years need 1 dose; ages 13-17 years need 2 doses)
  • TetanusDiphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) —1 dose at  7th grade or out-of-state transfer admission at 8th–12thgrades (1 dose on or after the 7th birthday)


If you have questions about enrollment requirements, please contact the Welcome Center at or 650-329-3707.

For other health related questions, please contact Health Services at or 650-833-4240.