High School Job Fairs
Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) hosts two job fairs each year: one in the Fall and one in the Spring on both campuses (Palo Alto High School and Gunn High School). The employers at these events provide information and access to students interested in employment. We seek to provide opportunities from a diverse representation across varied industry sectors. This level of community engagement provides our students with opportunities to gain real-world experiences, foster connections that go beyond the classroom experience, and gain skills that prepare them for future careers.
Who should participate:
Employers who hire High School students are encouraged to come and share work opportunities. All students will have an opportunity to meet recruiters during the lunch period. Students are looking for future opportunities and careers at companies and organizations just like yours.
Local businesses who would like to offer internships or job shadow experiences are encouraged to share their programs and mentor opportunities.
Community organizations that would like to recruit for volunteers and community service events.
Colleges and other institutions of learning are encouraged to attend as most students will be looking for a pathway to a career and that almost always includes additional education and training.
Details of a Virtual Job Fair?
A zoom link will be provided prior to the event. We suggest you show up 10-15 minutes before the event. This will allow you to check-in at the main room of the Zoom, prior to being placed in your break-out room. You are encouraged to share materials virtually – insert links into the chatbox, stream a video, or slide. Students will have access to a slide deck of participants, so you are encouraged to update your slide prior to the day of the event since students will have access at least a week prior to the event.
For each industry participant:
You will be provided with a 3ft x 6ft table with 2 chairs and you are free to bring any materials, flyers or displays that you need to use. If you have a standard table size display for trade shows - the table is about the same size as most convention facilities.
Who should participate in the Job Fair?
Employers interested in participating in the PAUSD job fairs should :
- Offer jobs that pay a base salary equal to or greater than a minimum wage in compliance with city/county/state/federal labor laws and ordinances. This base salary must take the form of a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly wage, comprised of a set hourly, weekly, or monthly rate.
- Not recruit for jobs that offer commission-only compensation.
- Not require prospective employees to purchase products or services contingent upon their employment with that company.
- Not be involved in a "pyramid" or multi-level type networking structure requiring or encouraging the recruitment of others who recruit others, etc. to sell products or services.
- Provide adequate protection to the employee through Worker's Compensation and/or liability insurance as required by law and in compliance with OSHA regulations as well as follow all California Child Labor laws.
PAUSD reserves the right to change, modify, or add criteria to the above standards as needed.
How much time will I have to set up?
We suggest you show up 20-30 mins before the event. This will allow you to check-in at the front office to secure a daily pass and have plenty of time to unload and set-up.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
There will be parking available to participants in our campus lots. Please indicate if you need more than one parking space. There will be room up front in the parking lot to unload materials or equipment.
What can I bring to the event?
You are encouraged to bring hand-outs, flyers and other materials. You should be bringing table covers or backdrops that identify your organization to the students at a glance.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
You can email Rachael Kaci at firstname.lastname@example.org