If you have additional questions, please contact the registration office at centattendance@pausd.org or (650) 329-3707.

What is my neighborhood school?

Refer to our School Finder.

How do I enter the lottery for a choice or alternative school?

Review our Choice Programs and then call the specific school you are interested in for instructions.

When should I register my child for kindergarten?

Children are eligible for transitional kindergarten if they have their fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2 (inclusive) of each academic year (EC 48000[c]).

Children are eligible for kindergarten if they will be five years of age on or before September 1 of each academic year (EC Section 48000[a]). 

Important Registration Dates

School Placement & Transfers 

If I register my child after Priority 1, how will my registration be processed?

All registrations that are submitted after the Priority 1 window are date and time stamped, and students are given school assignments in the order that they were submitted.

Does my child need a physical examination to enter school?

A physical health examination is required for 1st grade entry only. Visit our Health Requirements page for additional information.

When are kindergarten parent orientation meetings held at my neighborhood school?

Please visit our Important Registration Dates page.

How do I find out about after-school childcare programs at my child's school?

There is a licensed after-school child care program at each Palo Alto elementary school site. For more information about programs and how to register, contact the program director at your school site. Other local child care options are also available.

I have changed addresses in Palo Alto, what should I do?

Please complete the Address Change Form and schedule an appointment to submit it with the proper proof of residence to the Central attendance office.

If I move to another neighborhood in Palo Alto, will my children be able to attend the same school?

Students who change their legal residence during the year, and thus change their school attendance area, may elect to remain in the school which they have been attending for the completion of the current school year.  

For more detailed information on Intra District Transfers please visit the School Placements & Transfers page.

We are remodeling our house and will be living outside of Palo Alto during the remodeling. Can my children continue to attend the same school?

Contact the Central Attendance office. We will give you a form for your contractor to complete and submit to the Central Attendance office. Requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

My child is attending 7th grade at Jordan. Can my incoming 6th grader attend the same middle school if our address falls within another middle school's boundary?

You will need to apply for an Intra-District Transfer under the sibling request.

My child has been overflowed to another school. What is the District's policy?


Overflow students have priority over new registrations to the neighborhood school. If you wish for your child to remain at the overflow school permanently, you will need to request an Intra-District Transfer.

Middle & High Schools

Your child will remain in the overflow school until the end of the first semester. If space becomes available at your neighborhood school, you will be offered to remain at the overflow school or return to your neighborhood school. If you want your child to remain at the overflow school, you will need to complete an Intra-District Transfer. Your child be assigned to your neighborhood high school for 9th grade.