Click on the title that describes your situation.

Moving Within Palo Alto

To remain enrolled at a PAUSD school, the student must remain living (sleeping) in Palo Alto.

PERMANENT ADDRESS CHANGE: When the student's address changes because of a move to a new Palo Alto dwelling, parents MUST SUBMIT a Change of Address, with accompanying original documents (listed in the form) to the Registration Services office located at 25 Churchill Ave. This form must be submitted to the Registration Services office within 2 weeks of the date that the family becomes residents in the new dwelling.

HOME RENOVATIONS: temporary housing should remain within PAUSD boundaries to ensure the student can continue at their current PAUSD school.

Moving Into Palo Alto
  • Welcome to Palo Alto! There are a few facts about the Palo Alto School District that require families to plan ahead.

1) Palo Alto continues to experience high enrollment. As a result, many families who come to Palo Alto in the middle of the school year may find that the school closest to their residence has no room for their student. We will do our best to enroll your student in a school close to your home that has space, but there are times that the school with space is not within walking distance. Palo Alto Unified does not provide school buses or other transportation for students.

Make sure you have a transportation plan in case you are faced with this situation. It is essential that parents are equipped to provide transportation for their students including driving, or taking City of Palo Alto transit (check route and duration here).

2) The PAUSD Registration process requires three (3) proof of residency documents, one primary (lease or ownership proof) and two secondary documents. There are many acceptable documents that can be used; check the list at the link in the previous sentence.

It is important for parents to plan ahead, such as establishing  accounts with your name and Palo Alto address included such as utilities, cable, DMV, insurance, etc. These accounts and corresponding documents must be in place before coming to register your student.

3) Countries differ in their immunization requirements. California law requires students to meet all health requirements before they can enter school grounds; please check the requirements here and make sure your student has met them all before you register them for school.

4) Grade placement for International Students: The Palo Alto Unified school year is mid-August to early June. If your child has completed a year from a school with a significantly different timeframe (Jan - Dec, April - March), or your student is entering a PAUSD school in the middle of the PAUSD school year, the student will be placed in the grade just completed. This provides the student with a low-pressure academic English-language environment while the student adjusts to their new social setting.

Moving Out of Palo Alto (temporary or permanent)

Many families leave Palo Alto temporarily (travel resulting from job or leisure opportunities) or permanently (moved to house outside of PAUSD). Due to continued high enrollment, a student leaving Palo Alto will be immediately dis-enrolled from the PAUSD school to make space for other students waiting for a spot at that school. 

Temporary travel situations: discuss what options may be available with your child's school.

Student enrolled in a school outside PAUSD: student will be dis-enrolled from PAUSD and re-enrolled upon their return to Palo Alto (exception: Middle College program).