ALL of the following documents - some must be original versions - must be brought to the Registration Services office to the in-person office visit (step 3 in the previous page). The in-person office visit will take approximately 30 minutes per student. THE IN-PERSON VISIT CAN NOT UNLESS ALL DOCUMENTS ARE PRESENTED, and a registration will not be considered complete until all documents are provided.
REMEMBER to complete an Online Registration before your office appointment!
1. Original document of Parent or Guardian/Caregiver identification: Photo id such as passport or Driver's License or ID Card. NOTE: If student lives full time with a caregiver instead of a parent, caregiver must provide a completed Caregiver Affidavit.
2. Original or certified copy of Student Identification document, such as a birth certificate, passport, or duly attested baptism certificate. Contact Registration Services if none of these are available. If a student's name or gender for registration is different from what is list on the student's identification document, parents should submit a completed form for either a Legal Name-Gender Change, or a Requested Name-Gender Change.
3. Residency document, Primary Proof: One (1) of the following documents with the parent/guardian's name and address:
- Owners: Most recent property tax bill or receipt of property tax payment; must show owner name (a copy that includes the owner name can be obtained by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org). If the owner is an LLC, documentation must be provided that connects the homeowner/parent/guardian to the LLC. If no property tax bill or payment receipt is available because the purchase is recent: will accept final closing statement or deed.
- Renters: current Lease Agreement; must include manager/landlord's contact information and signature. All pages of the lease are needed, including signature page but not including addendums. If the lease has expired, or the lease is month-to-month, an additional letter is needed from the manager/landlord with their signature, indicating the parent(s)/guardian(s) are current residents, which must be dated within the last 30 days.
- Shared housing: families living free-of-charge with a homeowner/lessor who is not the parent or guardian, must complete the Shared Housing Affidavit and submit all documents listed in the Affidavit instructions in lieu of item 4 below. Note that documents are required from both the homeowner/lessor AND the parent; and the homeowner/lessor must be present along with the parent at the in-person office visit.
4. Residency documents, ADDITIONAL Proof: Two (2) documents, most current and with the parent/guardian's name and address, as follows:
- One document from Category 1: a bill, or a letter of account confirmation, for utilities (water, electric, gas, refuse);
- One document from Category 2: Confirmation of service for cable or internet; DMV vehicle registration; medical or dwelling insurance; credit card bill; W-2 tax form; voter registration; pay stub; letter from government agency; U.S. Mail address change verification
Note: The two documents can be accepted from Category 2 ONLY if the Primary Proof is a lease agreement AND the lease agreement explicitly states utilities are included.
5. For students with a parent in two households: at least one of the parents must live within Palo Alto, and the student must reside with that parent at least 50% of the time, for the student to qualify as a Palo Alto resident and attend PAUSD schools. When one parent lives outside of the PAUSD boundary, each parent must complete the Custody Calendar 19-20.
6. Health Records
- Student's Immunizations records: All records must be official (click here and read item 1c for definition of "official"). If your doctor has scheduled immunizations to be administered at a date after the registration appointment, a letter signed by a California licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) is required listing the dates the immunizations will be administered.
Note: As of July 2019, California requires 2 Varicella doses (vaccination against Chickenpox). If the student has had the Chickenpox disease, only a medical exemption can be accepted in lieu of the vaccinations. Definition of a medical exemption can be found on the Health Services page, in the "Immunization Requirements" section.
- A TB Risk Assessment form (or a TB test if required after assessment): must be completed by a health professional for the student. (Students transferring from another Santa Clara County school are exempt from this requirement.)
Click here for a complete description of all State and County requirements.
7. If student is transferring from a school within the United States, bring a completed Request For Records form. (NOTE: This is only required for students coming from a school in grades TK through 12; does not apply to a student coming from a preschool.)
8. Download, read, complete, and sign the Residency Declaration document. It is very important for parents to understand that this is a legal document and must be answered truthfully. If you own a home but you do not actually live in it (either because it is being renovated or rented to tenants or otherwise vacant), you do not qualify as a resident under the laws of the State of California and you should not register your child.
9. Review Grade Placement policies to determine the grade level PAUSD will assign based on student birth date; if parents want a different grade assigned, evidence of current or previous grade must be submitted for consideration.
The following documents are not needed at the in-person office visit; however, parent must provide them before student is assigned to a school:
- High school students entering the second semester of 9th grade, or entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grades, must submit an official student transcript from the previous school, with a professionally English-translated version included.
- Special Education students: Provide a copy, signed by parent and previous school, of existing or previous IEP or 504 plans.
Please contact Registration Services with any questions: RegistrationServices@pausd.org; (650) 329-3707.