ALL of the following documents - some must be original documents - must be brought to the Registration Services office in person (step 3 in the previous page) for a student's registration to be considered complete. This office visit will take approximately 30 minutes per student.
REMEMBER to complete an Online Registration before your office appointment!
1. Original document of Parent or Guardian/Caregiver identification: Photo id such as passport or Driver's License or ID Card. NOTE: If student lives full time with a caregiver instead of a parent, caregiver must provide a completed Caregiver Affidavit.
2. Original or certified copy of Student Identification document, such as a birth certificate, passport, or duly attested baptism certificate. Contact Registration Services if none of these are available. If a student's name or gender for registration is different from what is list on the student's identification document, parents should submit a completed form for either a Legal Name-Gender Change, or a Requested Name-Gender Change.
3. Residency document, Primary Proof: One (1) of the following documents with the parent/guardian's name and address:
- Homeowners: property tax bill (showing owner name and address; can be obtained by sending a request to email@example.com), or receipt of property tax payment. Recent purchase: will accept current closing statement or deed.
- Renters: current Lease Agreement with Manager/Landlord's contact information and signatures. All pages of the original lease, including signature pages, are needed in addition to any additional documents that extend the lease end date. If the lease has expired, or the lease is month-to-month, an additional letter is needed from the manager/landlord indicating the parent(s)/guardian(s) are current residents, which must be dated within the last 30 days.
- Shared housing: must complete the Shared Residency Affidavit.
4. Residency documents, ADDITIONAL Proof: Two (2) documents, most current and with the parent/guardian's name and address, as follows:
- One document from Category 1: a bill, or a letter of account confirmation, for utilities (water, electric, gas, refuse);
- One document from Category 2: Confirmation of service for cable or internet; DMV vehicle registration; medical or dwelling insurance; credit card bill; W-2 tax form; voter registration; pay stub; letter from government agency; U.S. Mail address change verification
Note: The two documents can be accepted from Category 2 ONLY if the Primary Proof is a lease agreement AND the lease agreement explicitly states utilities are included.
5. For students with a parent in two households: at least one of the parents must live within Palo Alto, and the student must reside with that parent at least 50% of the time, for the student to qualify as a Palo Alto resident and attend PAUSD schools. When one parent lives outside of the PAUSD boundary, each parent must complete the Custody Calendar 19-20.
6. Health Records
- Student's Immunizations records: All records must be official (click here and read item 1c for definition of "official"). If your doctor has scheduled immunizations to be administered at a date after the registration appointment, a letter signed by a California licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) is required listing the dates the immunizations will be administered.
- A TB Risk Assessment form (or a TB test if required after assessment): must be completed by a health professional for the student. (Students transferring from another Santa Clara County school are exempt from this requirement.)
Click here for a complete description of all State and County requirements.
7. If student is transferring from a school within the United States, bring a completed Request for Records form.
8. High school students entering the second semester of 9th grade, or entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grades, must submit an official student transcript from the previous school, with a professionally English-translated version included.
9. Review Grade Placement policies to determine the grade level PAUSD will assign based on student birth date; if parents want a different grade assigned, evidence of current or previous grade must be submitted for consideration.
10. Special Education students: Provide a copy, signed by parent and previous school, of existing or previous IEP or 504 plans.
Please contact Registration Services with any questions: RegistrationServices@pausd.org; (650) 329-3707.