J. L. Stanford Middle School New Building Aerial View

Campus Profile

Stanford Middle School
480 E. Meadow Ave.
Built in: 1953, 1955, 1965, 1972, 2003

Stanford Middle School is composed of ten single story buildings on the 26 acre campus. The campus is adjacent to both Hoover and Fairmeadow Elementary Schools, as well as Mitchell Park. The original buildings in 1953 included 3 classroom wings, the Admin, Library, Cafetorium, Gymnasium buildings and a shop building. An expansion of the campus included construction of a new classroom wing and an addition on the Library wing. A new math and science wing were constructed in 1972, along with expansions to the Admin, Library and Gym. Two further classrooms were added in 1972. During the Building for Excellence Program in 2001-2003, all buildings were modernized with new finishes, roofing, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. The total renovation was done in lieu of replacement of the facility as planned in 1996.

Project Overview

The Strong Schools Bond project will remove the six existing portables and replace them with a new 2-story classroom building located near the industrial arts wing. The new 10 classroom building will increase capacity with 4 additional classrooms. Existing classrooms will receive a technology wall that consists of an interactive whiteboard and sound assist system, both that are proven to enhance student learning. Also, an improved drainage system will be installed allowing for the opportunity for improving the landscape campuswide.

Project Plans

Project Schedule

  • Architect Contract Approval – October 30, 2008
  • Conceptual Design Approval – September 8 , 2009
  • Schematic Design Approval – June 22, 2010 & September 28, 2010
  • Submit to DSA – May 6, 2011
  • Approval by DSA – January 24, 2012
  • Bid Opening – May 3, 2012
  • Award of Contract – May 8, 2012
  • Notice to Proceed – May 30, 2012
  • Substantial Completion – August 24, 2013*
  • Planned Occupancy – January 1, 2014*

* Anticipated Dates - Subject to Change