Through the promotion of physical, mental, and social growth, school nurses work to maximize the achievement and well-being of students. As the primary health care provider within the educational environment, the school nurse shares in the responsibility of directing growth towards the achievement of each student's maximum potential, both as a student and as a member of the community.

If you have questions please contact Sandra Jaimez Gutierrez, Health Services Administrative Assistant (650) 833-4240 or

Rosemarie Craig, RN, PHN, MSN - District Nurse                                 

Katherine Caneba, RN - District Nurse

Joel Siapno, RN - District Nurse



Health Requirements for Entering Students

The State of California and Santa Clara County require all students to fulfill a number of health requirements school entry. 

If you have questions about enrollment requirements, please contact the Welcome Center at or 650-329-3707.

Immunization Clinics

Minute Clinic 
Located inside some CVS & Walgreens Pharmacies 

May View Community Health Centers
(650) 327-8717
270 Grant Avenue
Palo Alto, CA  94306
Call for Clinic Hours: 650-327-8717

100 Moffett Boulevard #101
Mountain View, CA  94043
Call for Clinic Hours: 650-695-3323

Mountain View RotaCare Free Clinic
(650) 988-8203 or (650) 988-7763
1174 Castro Street, Suite 150
(Castro Commons Professional Building)
Mountain View, CA 94043

Call for Clinic Hours

  • Bring your child's Immunization Record.
  • Free health care is offered to adults and children who do not have insurance, Medi-Cal, or Medicare.  Call for Clinic Hours First come, first served.

Mobile Health Van of Redwood City
(650) 573-2786
Call for times, dates and locations

Ravenswood Family Health Center
(650) 330-7400
1798-A Bay Road
East Palo Alto, CA  94301

Call for Clinic Hours

Immunization Law Effective 2016

These laws apply to any student entering Transitional Kindergarten (TK)/Kindergarten or 7th Grade.

(SB 277) Effective in 2016

Governor Brown signed Senate Bill (SB) 277 on June 30, 2015. Starting in 2016, SB 277: 

  • Will no longer permit immunization exemptions based on personal beliefs for children in child care, public and private schools;
  • Will permit personal belief exemptions filed at a school or child care facility in California before January 1, 2016 to remain valid until a pupil reaches TK/kindergarten or 7th grade;
  • Will not require immunization documentation for:
    • Students in home-based private schools
    • Students enrolled in an independent study program who do not receive classroom-based instruction
    • Access to special education and related services specified in an individualized education program

Medical Exemptions

Only a medical exemption can be accepted and this has to be signed exclusively by a California licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.)

A parent or guardian must submit a written statement from a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) which states:

  • That the physical condition or medical circumstances of the child are such that the required immunization(s) is not indicated.
  • Which vaccines are being exempted.
  • Whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary.
  • The expiration date, if the exemption is temporary.
  • Student name and date of birth.
  • Physician signature and clinic stamp.

Once this expiration date has occurred, the child may continue in attendance only after the school or child-care center receives documentation of the immunizations now due.

For information on where to get immunizations for your child in Santa Clara County, click here.

7th Grade Immunization Requirements

As a 7th grader, to make sure your student is healthy at school, PAUSD will need to have the following documents in your student’s record:

  • One dose of Tdap (Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis) given on or after the 7th birthday.
  • Two doses of MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) or any measles-containing vaccine given on or after 1st birthday.


Students who had a valid personal beliefs exemption filed before 2016 between Kindergarten and 6th grade need to meet the requirements listed for children 7-17 years old as well as requirements for 7th grade. These students will need documentation for the following immunizations:

  • Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis containing vaccine (DTaP, DTP, DT, Tdap, or Td) - 3 doses
    • One dose of Tdap vaccine given on or after the 7th birthday will meet the 7th grade requirement and count as one of the 3 doses required for students 7-17 years old
  • Polio (OPV or IPV) - 4 doses (3 doses ok if one given on or after the 2nd birthday)
  • MMR - 2 doses (or 2 doses of measles-containg vaccine and 1 dose of of rubella vaccine)
  • Varicella - 1 dose if admission at ages 7-12, 2 doses if admission at ages 13-17

For information on where to get immunizations for your child in Santa Clara County, click here.

Vaccination records or a letter from your child's physician can be delivered to Health Services

  • Mail: Attn: Health Services, 25 Churchill Ave., Palo Alto, 94306
  • E-mail:
  • Fax: (650)833-4226
  • Drop-Off: District Office Portable A - 25 Churchill Ave., Palo Alto, 94306
    • Hours: 8am - 5 pm. Note: During summer, the District Office is closed on Fridays.
Medication Administration - at School or on Field Trips

Any student who is required to take prescribed medication during the school day may be assisted by a school nurse or designated school personnel if the school receives a completed “Medication Authorization Form” signed by a California licensed health care provider and the student’s parent or guardian (EC 49423).

Upon written parent’s consent and school nurse approval, a student may be allowed to carry and self-administer prescription auto-injectable epinephrine, prescription inhaled asthma medication, or medications and supplies prescribed for the management of diabetes. Students may be allowed to carry and self-administer these prescribed medications if the school receives a completed “Medication Authorization Form” and the “Student/Parent Consent to Carry and Self-Administer Medication” form and after approval by the school nurse.

Medication forms can be obtained from the school health office or printed from the links below.

No medication, including herbal remedies or other over-the-counter drugs, will be stored or dispensed at school without written authorization from the physician and parent. All medication permits must be renewed at the beginning of the school year before school employees may assist with medication administration. Medication must be supplied by the parent in the original prescription clearly labeled with student’s name, medication, dosage and directions, or original over-the-counter container.

Your child's school will keep an accurate written record documenting that the medication was administered in the prescribed amount at the prescribed time.

Medication Authorization Forms

Health Protocols & Forms

If your child has a chronic health condition, asthma, seizures, or severe allergies (anaphylactic reaction), the health office at each school can help keep your child safe and healthy by completing the appropriate forms and returning the forms to your school office before school starts. This will help us prepare to care for your child. Please make sure that you ALWAYS keep your emergency card up to date.

If your child has diabetes please contact the Health Services Office at (650) 833-4240 to setup your child's Diabetes protocol.

Student Illness

For the safety and protection of all, students should not attend school with any symptoms below and will be sent home for any of the following symptoms:

  • Cold symptoms. Keep student home during period of productive cough and yellow or green nasal discharge.
  • Fever of 100 degrees or higher. Students who have been ill with a fever need to be fever-free, without the use of medication, for 24 hours before returning to school.
  • Eyes that are red, swollen, crusting or draining
  • Untreated, draining ears or earache
  • Diarrhea or Vomiting. Keep student home for 24 hours before returning to school.
  • Severe nausea
  • Severe sore throat
  • Head lice
  • Childhood communicable disease – contact the district nurse

If a student is at school with any of these symptoms, the parent/guardian will be called to pick up the student. Under certain circumstances, parents may be asked to consult a physician and to provide a written note from a doctor indicating that the student may return to school.

Health Screenings

The District Nurses and other qualified professionals conduct screenings at school sites.

All students are screened at the grade levels listed below:

Vision and Hearing: Grades TK, K, 2nd, 5th, and 8th.

Color Vision: Grade 1

Students may also be screened if the parent, teacher or school nurse suspect a vision or hearing problem and for special education assessments and as needed for district health initiatives. Those who fail the initial screening will be re-tested by the school nurse. Parents will be notified and referred for further follow-up only when a problem is identified (EC 49456, 49452.5).

Parents may submit a written request to the school principal for exemption from any of the above health screenings.

Low-Cost Dental Clinics


CompreCare Health Center
(408) 272-6300 3030
Alum Rock Dr.
San Jose, CA 95127

Foothill Community Health Center
(408) 254-1800 2380
Montpelier Dr. Suite 200
San Jose, CA 95116

Gardner South County Dental
(408) 848-9400 7526
Monterey St.
Gilroy, CA 95020

Indian Health Center
(408) 445-3400 1333
Meridian Ave.
San Jose, CA 95125

St. James Health Center
(408) 918-2600
55 E. Julian St.
San Jose, CA 95112

Valley Health Center @East Valley
(408) 817-1460
1993 McKee Rd
San Jose, CA 95116

Valley Health Center @ Tully
(408) 808 - 6102 - new patients
(408) 817-1480 - patients on record
500 Tully Rd.
San Jose, CA 95111

Valley Medical Center Ability To Pay Program
(408) 885-7470
2325 Enborg Lane
San Jose, CA 95128


Ravenswood Family Dentistry (must be current patient)
1807 Bay Road
East Palo Alto, CA 94303

Mid-Peninsula Dental Health Society
220 Main Street
Suite 208A
Los Altos, CA 94022

Fair Oaks Health Center
2710 Middlefield Road
Redwood City, CA 94063


UOP School of Dentistry
(510) 489-5200
Union City Dental Care Center
1203 J Street, Suite 102
Union City, CA 94587


UCSF School of Dentistry
(415) 476-1891
707 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94143

UOP School of Dentistry:
San Francisco Dental Care Center
(415) 929-6501
155 5th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103

The following are the hygiene schools that have free or low cost cleanings by hygiene students. These facilities offer CLEANINGS ONLY. No dental treatment is provided:

Foothill College Dental Hygiene Program
(650) 949-7335
12345 El Monte Rd.
Los Altos, CA 94022

Carrington College Dental Hygiene Program
(408) 960-0181
6201 San Ignacio Ave.
San Jose, CA 95119

For families with Denti-Cal, the following link lists providers who accept Denti-Cal:
Santa Clara County Denti-Cal Providers
San Mateo County Denti-Cal Providers

Pertussis in Schools

In the event that a case of pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is reported at any PAUSD school, the PAUSD nursing team works very closely with the Santa Clara County Department of Public Health to respond to and prevent cases of pertussis from spreading. The PAUSD nursing team uses the public health department’s protocol to ensure the health and well- being of all PAUSD students. Please use the following resources to learn more about Pertussis and how to prevent it:

California Department of Public Health – Pertussis (whooping cough)

California Department of Public Health – Pertussis Quick Sheet

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – About Pertussis