If you would like to work and you are not yet 18 years of age, you will need a work permit.  Please follow the steps listed below. 

Remember, after you turn in the application you will need to return to the Work Experience Education office to sign and pick up your work permit.

  1. Complete Work Permit Application Form (CDE Form B1-1)
    • Make sure that you complete all 4 sections of the permit for prompt processing
      If sections are left blank or incomplete, we will not be able to process your application
  2. Drop off your completed Work Permit Application at the Work Experience office at either
    • Gunn High School in the Guidance office (in the mailbox located beneath the flat screen tv)
    • Palo Alto High School in the Tower Bldg., 1st floor, in the guidance department. 
    • *** Do not email applications, original applications with signatures must be submitted.  Please do not send your social security number & personal information via email.  
  3. After submitting the completed application form it will be processed.
    • Allow three days for permit processing.
    • The Official Work Permit will need to be picked up by the student requesting the permit.  Office hours are as follows:
      • As needed by appointment
        • Regularly scheduled:
          • Gunn High School – Office: E-3
            • Mondays: 10:00 a.m. - 1:10 p.m.
            • Fridays: 10:00 a.m. - 1:10 p.m.
          • Palo Alto High School – Guidance Office
            • Tuesdays: 10:00-11:30 a.m.
            • Thursdays: 10:00-12:05 p.m.
    • Once the permit is signed and completed, the student will be given the permit to deliver to his/her employer.
    • A copy of the permit will be mailed to the student’s parent/guardian 

If you have questions please email Ms. McDermott, at tmcdermott@pausd.org or you can visit the Work Experience office at either site, please see above office hours.


phone: (650) 833-4239

Please Do Not take the Work Permit Application to the District Office.