Student and Family Engagement (SaFE)
The Student and Family Engagement Specialists serve as the link between the school, parents, and community. They will develop and foster community collaborations, as well as provide referrals to community-based services for families. Also, they will expand opportunities to families for continued learning, voluntary community service, and civic participation. They will guide parents to understand the educational system so they can become better advocates for their children's education and empower parents to become decision-makers. In addition, they will provide supports to schools in working on student success goals to help student and families achieve success.
- Vision #1: Provide families with the necessary skills and tools to ensure their children achieve their greatest potential in school and in life.
- Vision #2: We envision a world where every child enters school ready to succeed because every parent has the knowledge, skills, and resources to support their children's learning
- Vision #3: We want to strengthen families and communities to help prepare themselves and the workforce of the future.
- Vision #4: Creating strong relationships between schools and home to ensure students receive wrap-around supports aligned with best practices, in an effort to foster student achievement.
Student and Family Engagement Specialist (SaFE) Contacts
Under the direction of the Coordinator for Student and Family Engagement, and part of the Equity and Student Affairs Team, the SaFE Specialist works to establish relationships that empower, guide, and support historically underrepresented (HUR) and low income families in PAUSD to become strong advocates for their children's education, social and emotional well-being. SaFE Specialists will continue to be supported through extensive biweekly training meetings, structured so that they are versed in educational concepts such as RtI, Special Education, in and out of school time supports, all to better support students and families. All 18 sites have a bilingual Family Engagement Specialist that works between 5-12 hours a week. Several specialists cover multiple sites. The program has partnered with the PAUSD Adult School and a host of other community partners such as Dream Catchers in support of families successfully accessing resources.
Goals and Objectives
- Increase communication and engagement of Historically Underrepresented Students, Tinsley program Students, English Learner families and families who need support through oral and written communication by providing regular communication with parents to inform them of school, district, and community events and opportunities.
- Increase parent knowledge of school systems.
- Increase parent awareness of resources provided by the school district..
- Empower students and parents with information on how to successfully navigate PAUSD.
- Continue to ensure that parents receive timely communication from the school and the district in preferred languages, partnering with District offered translation and interpretation services.
- Build positive and trusting relationships with families (eg. interpretation and translation services as appropriate, organize community conversations in partnership with the school principals, home visits).
- Facilitate, coordinate, and promote parent education classes and/or workshops given at the district level (navigating PAUSD website, Schoology, Infinite Campus, Naviance).
- Serve as a liaison between administrators, teachers, school personnel, and parents regarding parent involvement issues.
- Increase parent involvement in the school by working closely with the school, parent organizations, and community partners.
- Organize school-wide events to increase parental and community involvement, in partnership with the school.
- Assist in the development of a family friendly environment at the school.
- Coordinate and attend regular parent meetings and events on topics of key concerns or interests.
- Help families understand school report cards, district assessments, and state examinations.
For any questions about the program or its services, please feel free to reach out to the Director of Student and Family Engagement Herb Espiritu.